Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning hamburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usedta, long ago...now, only when I mix in a pack of onion soup mix, fer what I call a "Nostalgia Burger," lol! Reckon many yall remember em...

No particular reason, ceptin I got jus as good flavour, seasonin th exterior, an didn't haveta git my hands all greasy, or take th extry step...

Comment

I use 15% Painted Hills beef from Oregon. Form patties loosely with coarse salt and black pepper on both sides. I let them sit in the fridge for about an hour then onto the grill. Money every time!

Comment

I used to use many different spices in burgers, and go to great lengths forming the perfect patty. But those burgers never came out anywhere near perfect.

Been making smash burgers on the Blackstone lately using only salt, pepper, and a dash of garlic - all of which hit the burger once it’s on the griddle. They’re so flavorful I don’t see myself making burgers any other way in the foreseeable future.

Comment

If doing a "steak" burger I season on the surface with salt and pepper, OR something like Montreal Steak.

Lately I do smash burgers, and follow the Wimp burger recipe from this site - pepper, onion powder, garlic powder mixed into the meat, the salt on the grill.

Comment

When chuck roast goes on sale I'll usually buy a couple. I'll dry brine both and the next day I'll vac-seal one and will grind the other to be used for burgers, chili, etc. I like my burgers loose and will typically only season the surface with pepper (it's already seasoned with salt) and maybe a little garlic powder. I put them in cold, I'll usually pop them in the freezer for a half hour before being cooked. Indirect with a reverse sear provides great flavor - more grill flavor than smash burgers. Smash burgers are great for a deep and full sear and they baste in their own rendering fat a bit more than regular grilled burgers. I love them both for different reasons. Can't go wrong either way.

Comment

i usually do pepper, onion, garlic powder, a little paprika in the mix then salt on the griddle after the smash. sometimes i add a little soy sauce for some umami, i find that doesnt have the same effect as adding salt to the meat texture/density.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here