Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning hamburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasoning hamburger

In the summer I grill a lot of burgers. I've been experimenting with adding seasoning in the meat. I've learned it has to be done with the meat as cold as I can get it without freezing or I get some ugly meat paste looking stuff. The mixture that I like the best so far is equal parts Cavanders Greek seasoning, lemon pepper and granulated garlic, with a dash of seasoned salt. I'd never heard of Cavanders until about 3 years ago when I met 2 people only days apart that loved it. One was a caterer who used it in his steak rub , the other was a fireman who said they used it a lot in the kitchen at the fire house on meat and vegetables. It's in several of my rubs now. Do you ever season your hamburger meat? If so with what?

Tony Chachere's. Pour on the lump of ground meat before I mix, then some more if I feel I went weak. Make patties, throw on the grill.

Comment

• Rfhd69
      Rfhd69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotta love the Chach!

I tried Cavanders Greek seasoning after Baby Back Maniac recommended it for burgers. I thought it was pretty good. But I generally just season burgers with salt and pepper on the surface on the grill.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'm a salt and pepper man too

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Another pepper man here, no salt, maybe garlic and/or onion powder.
      Once in a blue moon a coupla dollops of Worcestershire sauce.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      My way of doing it too.

Usually add spices. Whatever rub i have around works. BBBR is good.

Comment

I used to season a year or two back. Don’t anymore. I find it’s unnecessary & adds little if anything that can be accomplished with the exterior. My two cents. 🕶

Comment

I agree with Fireman. With thin meats that you eat the entire width of in one bite, whether that seasoning's all on the outside or mixed in is largely moot. Just my two cents as well.

Comment

I have heard recently that mixing salt into the ground beef before forming patties can cause the meat to be extra dense. Anything to this? A curious mind wants to know.

Comment

• Texas Larry
            Texas Larry commented
            Editing a comment
            I have always preferred to have my seasoning on the surface, but wondered about the idea that mixing it in would toughen the burgers.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            yes. Serous eats ran an experiment on this that I duplicated. Salt on outside just before cooking, or right after smashing.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            This is true, see Dr Blonder's experiment here: https://genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/saltyburger.html

We stopped seasoning ground meat when making burgers and think it makes for a better texture. The other big trick is not to pack the patties too tight.

Comment

Salt n Sizzle.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, keep it simple. Comin from someone’s who’s avatar is a primo burger!

I add granulated garlic, granulated onion, black pepper, and ground chipotle to my burger mix. I salt the outside all over before smoking on thick burgers, and one side only immediately after smashing on J-Wellington Wimpy burgers.
            I love Greek seasoning on my grilled veggies with a sprinkle of cayenne

Comment

I only salt and pepper with smash burgers while cooking. My normal burgers rotate between a few because of the family. Garlic, salt, and gourmet pepper / Doritos dust / Ranch seasoning / just salt and pepper

Comment

For those interested in docblonder's experiment regarding mixing salt in, (hint: skip it, just salt the surface) you can read it here: https://genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/saltyburger.html

Comment

• mnavarre
                  mnavarre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  TL;DR: If you salt the ground meat and then work it, you're basically making sausage. And mixing in the salt and forming patties is enough to take it from "burger patty" to "bouncy meat puck".

Am I the only one who don’t mix their burger grind? Doubtful, I think?

Comment

Not to be "that guy," but in knowledgeable cooking circles, of which I consider The Pit to be one, "seasoning" means salt (possibly pepper.) What you are referring to is spicing. Let the brick bats fly!

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Me personally, I consider "seasonings" & "spices" to be one and the same- garlic, pepper, cumin, etc. Salting to me is "salting", it's its own animal.

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I can see looking at it that way. Salt is special. But it's a special seasoning. The quintessential seasoning.

All great confirming information. Thanks to all!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here