Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still issues with my burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still issues with my burgers

Ok, I am operating a Vision Professional Kamado. I am still having a hell of a time getting my burgers down, and I don’t understand what the issue is.

I am heating my kamado to 250, and letting it sit there for about 25 minutes. I take my grates out and my deflector, and add my wood chunk. I take my hamburger patty and add it to the top grate. Then I smoke it for 30 minutes.

I am using 73/27 beef.

The first time I made burgers, they turned out with a good apple wood flavor and a beautiful smoke ring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0464495C-4569-498E-AEF1-53BDA135D914.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	685545
    they are in the cast iron getting reverse seared.

Ever since then, I haven’t been able to duplicate this cook at all!! The only thing I did different is that the first cook at 1/4 cup of oats and 1 egg added to it. Could that really effect the smoke ring and the flavor? They are coming out tasting like a char grilled burger. They don’t taste bad, but definitely don’t taste smoked.

Any input is grateful.

I have gone through several patties trying to figure this out. I even thought that the difference was the temperature of my meet. I remember the first time I left my hamburgers out setting for 20 minutes to come to room temp, but still no change. Is it how long I am leaving them on? Does it need to be longer then 30?? They are turning brown, not red. They have zero applewood flavor, or hickory, or a mesquite. They just taste like a char grilled burger.

I would make sure they are really cold when you put them in and I would Spritz them with a little bit of water.

Comment

• bbq_joe
      bbq_joe commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m willing to try anything at this point

• bbq_joe
      bbq_joe commented
      Editing a comment
      Spritz then just once when I first put them on?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      bbq_joe yep, cold cold cold and early spritz

I would suggest to get them cold. Close to freezing but not frozen. That should collect more smoke.

Comment

The colder they start the better. Let them smoke until they are maybe 5-10 degrees below your target temp, however long that takes. Then pull off the heat and sear. You’ll have to practice to ensure that the temp you remove them at is right for your finishing searing method to bring the internal temp to exactly where you want it.

Comment

That’s close to what I have been doing. My hamburger will set in my fridge until 5 minutes before I throw them on. I take them out, pat out the patties, season them, and out to the smoker they go.

Now the first ones I ever did.....they sat on the counter for 30 minutes before I ever put them on the smoker.

Ribs, pork shoulder, pork loin, I am getting great smoke ring, flavors et cetera. My hamburgers, I just can’t get it

Comment

Going to do burgers again tonight. I am going to try the spritzing method, so we will see what happens. I am hoping for the best.

Anyone else have have any thoughts?

Comment

Thumbs up on the cold. I like them partially frozen.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here