Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My burgers are crumbling to pieces!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Forgot to mention it was 30% brisket 70% chuck ground at 1/4”.

Flavor was more two-note than orchestra. I think the fried aspect masks some of the flavor you get with more gentle browning. And of course this is tricky, the line between really good dark brown and charcoal is seconds.
    Last edited by Polarbear777; May 20, 2019, 09:55 AM.

• Polarbear777
    replied
    Had to try Kenji’s "new" method.

Works well but impractical for more than one. The pan really needs to be cleaned and reheated between each. The first one, with the cheese was good. The second one got overdone.

Final internal temp in each one was 140F. And they are super delicate and fall apart. Very tasty though.

Also so I can’t imagine doing this indoors. The smoke and splatters are ferocious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	492D8F12-A8B8-4DDD-BCAA-538C9B7CB9F0.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	682010

Click image for larger version

Name:	9AE6F482-71B5-4B03-8B3E-306F09D3605F.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	682011Click image for larger version

Name:	0781D5E7-0027-4198-A843-FBDEC6AEA403.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	682012

Leave a comment:

• JimLinebarger
    commented on 's reply
    Could it also be the perceived need to keep coming up with new things to stay relevant? I am wondering about cohesion of the burger and how many takes it took to get it on the bun. My smash burgers sometimes don't like to stay together.

• JimLinebarger
    commented on 's reply
    Polarbear777 Some take-aways from this could be that: there are virtues with different methods; that as you gain experience with said methods, the "new car smell" excitement gets tempered, thus allowing for learning new things; and, probably the most important, if you gots the money to spend, flash the bling but keep yourself grounded by still using the old with the new.

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    I do like his $1500 burner heating up his $7.00 pan :-)

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting. In years past he has proclaimed the virtues of the thick SV burger and the opposite thin Smash burger. Now we are back to the middle. Check out the burner he’s using.

• Guttenberg
    commented on 's reply
    Great watch - thanks

• JimLinebarger
    replied
    I just came across this last night from J. Kenji López-Alt of SeriousEats from The Burger Show - Debunking Burger Myths with J. Kenji López-Alt. He talks about forming burgers.

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    This is how I roll too. Smash is the way to go, I have a dedicated CI pan for this to use on my grill.

• JeffJ
    replied
    I also like them to be loose and craggy. The downside is that they do sometimes fall apart a bit as a result. For me personally, the upside is worth it. I don't think they benefit from slow cooking. Cook 'em hot and fast and they should turn out great. I've found that the meat will bind a bit while it's cooking.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I leave the bigger ones on a little longer.

• Murdy
    commented on 's reply
    I worked in a butcher shop about 25 years ago. If my memory serves, 2 grinds was pretty much standard practice. Gives you a chance to mix added fat in and ensure its distributed evenly between grinds.

• Murdy
    replied
    I tend to agree with those that are saying pack then a little tighter. Myself, I don't worry about overhandling my burger, especially if it's going straight to the grill after I handle it. As I understand it from working with sausage makers, the problem with pre-pattied burgers is that patty machines have a lot of moving parts, the friction increases the temperature of the meat, and that gets the bacteria active, which can affect, among other things, the taste. You are not going to accomplish this by pattying a little more aggressively with your hands. Also, if you cook immediately, any problem with bacteria will be quickly dealt with.

This is my understanding. I am not a food scientist (in fact, I'm not a scientist at all, and prolly not that bright). If someone has some other thoughts/theories/explanations about this, I'd love to hear them.

Leave a comment:

• Guttenberg
    commented on 's reply
    CaptainMike - what's the final temp that you get? I'm guessing you ended up with 155-160?

Mosca - I'll do this for a smaller burger, but not the big fatties in the steakhouse burger recipe. Aren't they raw in the middle?

• Guttenberg
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here