Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about grinding your own hamburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about grinding your own hamburger

I knew we had a meat grinding attachment kit for the Kitchen Aid mixer somewhere, and I finally found it this week.
    I'm thinking of getting a chuck roast or chuck eye steak if available, and mixing it with some brisket.
    The brisket has already been smoked, vacuum sealed, and frozen. Can I mix the already cooked brisket with raw chuck to make hamburger or would it be better to use all raw meat, .i.e. get a brisket flat and chuck and grind it together?
    Could I just grind up the smoked brisket by itself and throw the patties on the grill to basically just warm it back up?

I've never tried this but I suspect the cooked stuff would have a hard time binding together.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this.

I don't think it will work. Keep in mind that ground beef needs to be cooked to 160 internal in order to be safe to eat. Mixing in some already thoroughly cooked brisket seems like it would just dry out.

I'd use that brisket in soup or chili.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Histrix the problem is the surface of the meat can still have pathogens and when ground all of the meat is exposed. If you want medium rare meat to be truly safe, either SV or drop it in boiling water for 30 seconds. This is why I like fattier meat for burgers. At 160 it's still moist and tender due to the rendered fat.

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, there's always a chance for pathogens. Everybody has their own assessments of risk. That's why some folks will relish steak tartare while others will never touch it.

• DiverDriver
      DiverDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      Been eating raw meat for over 60 years.... how I was raised. Never ill a day. For the last three years been doing raw milk not a problem. You just gotta know your sources.

I agree with JeffJ I think that's a potentially poor practice to get into, mixing cooked meat with uncooked ground anything. You risk undercooking the ground and/or overcooking the brisket. I would either do all cooked or all uncooked and error toward the safe side.

Comment

Some mix bacon into raw grind, but bacon is very fatty, so it would not be prone to drying out. I suspect, as noted, you'd end up with a very dry patty, assuming you could get it to hold together (with might be possible with the addition of a raw egg?? -- but why bother?).

If you are trying to combine the flavors, I've seen a few menus where they top a burger with pulled pork. Maybe do something like that. Grind your beef, cook it, then top it with some thin-sliced brisket (similar to a bacon cheese burger, maybe)

Comment

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        bacon brisket mmm.

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        I like to partially render bacon indirect on the grill and then chop it and mix it with ground chuck.

Thanks everyone, all good points and everyone confirmed my suspicions. This is such a great place to learn from those with more experience.

Comment

I've been eyeballing a meat grinder attachment ever since I realized the Kitchen Aide mixer my mother in law gave us a couple of years ago has all those fancy accessories. Otherwise, I guess I can find the hand crank meat grinder my grandmother used to clamp to the edge of a table and use... . All this talk of grinding bacon into the meat has me thinking I need to do this.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          It will come back around. I missed it last time it was on sale..

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          Honestly I take my 100+ year old hand crank Griswold over kitchen aid (which I have) any day.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I'm going to see if my mom still has the meat grinder that was her mothers. I am sure she wouldn't be using it, but the question is whether she kept it all these years, since my grandmother passed away in 1986.

Any meat grinder recommendations besides the kitchen aide attachment? I am looking for one that is simple to clean and does a good job. I hear they can be a nightmare to clean. Anything under $100 that meets this criteria?
        Last edited by OSB; May 17, 2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• jerrybell
          jerrybell commented
          Editing a comment
          Cleaning isn't that difficult. I've seen may people suggest running a slice bread or two through the grinder to push the meat out of the plate. I do this and it does simplify cleanup. A long-handled round-head dish washing brush makes cleaning the barrel easy and the bristles will press into the holes of the plate when washing that.

I think a manual grinder is a good option. You can get a very nice manual grinder for $60 to $80. Lem and Weston are both good brands.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          They’re not as hard to clean as some people make out...
          Where they usually seem to go wrong is over tightening "nut" that holds the discs in place. THAT can be a royal PITA.
          Remove that and most of them are pretty straightforward...grab a bottle brush or even a rag depending on the design.

You should be able to find a dedicated grinder for under $100.
          Might even score an electric one.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          OSB, Kitchen Aide grinder attachment, Amazon prime days has the stainless model on sale for 56 bucks.

I have a Gourmia. It's electric, costs about $65 and it works well.

Comment

I have a chuck roast and a tip sirloin roast that I'm going to grind, both about 4.5 lbs. I plan to put both into boiling water for 30-45 seconds to kill the surface nasties. They wont' both fit in the pot at the same time, should I do one of them and dump the water and start with clean for the next hunk, or can the second go into the same water after the first one is out? I guess I could also use 2 pots at the same time, but if I don't need to I won't.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            No expert here, but I'd jus use th one pot of water, were it me doin it.

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Just use 1 pot and reuse the same water. If necessary, let it come back to a boil before baptizing the second roast.

Has anyone taken a full packer brisket and ground it into hamburger? Would it be better to mix some brisket with chuck or something else?

Thanks.

Comment

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            My go-to burger blend when I grind my own is 2 parts chuck, 1 part brisket, and 1 part sirloin flap or short rib. I think just ground brisket would be a bit mineraly tasting. 1 part brisket and 1 part chuck wouldn't be a bad combo.

Kenji did a whole series of articles in The Burger Lab - https://aht.seriouseats.com/the-burger-lab

Comment

It's time to grind some more burger meat, this time with the new Gvode attachment. I've got a couple of chuck roasts again and decided to add a little more fat to the grind this time. I saved the fat trimmings from a brisket to incorporate into the mix even though chuck should be close to the 80/20 blend I'm looking for. How much fat would be suggested to add to a 4.5 lb. roast? I'm also planning to dunk said roast in a pot of boiling water before grinding it, I'm thinking I should also throw the brisket fat trimmings in at the same time unless someone thinks there is a reason not to?

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Do not, I say again do not dunk your meat in boiling water. You want it as cold as possible. Can you point to a recipe that calls for dunking in boiling water. It will make the fat to soft to grind properly. The basic recipe is chuck some brisket and some short rib and maybe sirloin. It is ground cold almost frozen.

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              You really can't calculate how much fat to add to get 20% percent in the final grind unless you know how much fat there is in the chuck to begin with. You just have to eyeball it. Better too much than too little.

• Flat Rocker
              Flat Rocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Good point Bkhuna, I agree that in this case more is better ! Thanks.

@mountainsmoker: I do grind the meat cold but I put it boiling water first to try to remove any surface contamination before grinding. There are several references to that method on this site.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here