Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about grinding your own hamburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    I like to partially render bacon indirect on the grill and then chop it and mix it with ground chuck.

• Flat Rocker
    replied
    Thanks everyone, all good points and everyone confirmed my suspicions. This is such a great place to learn from those with more experience.

Leave a comment:

• Histrix
    commented on 's reply
    One of the greatest things about grinding your own hamburger meat is that the risks of contamination are much less than those commercial packs of hamburger.

So if you want that rare or medium rare burger grind your own meat! Here's just one of many resources worth a read:
    Author: Tim Robinson Medium? Or medium rare? Anyone who takes steak seriously knows the answer to that question. Steaks cooked to medium rare (130° F, see Chef Recommended Temps) simply taste better and have a better texture. So why do we cook our hamburgers to 160°? As the old A-1 commercial used to say, “What […]

Sous vide is also one way to pasteurize ground beef at temps as low as 131°F (time will vary on thickness).

• bardsleyque
    commented on 's reply
    bacon brisket mmm.

• Murdy
    replied
    Some mix bacon into raw grind, but bacon is very fatty, so it would not be prone to drying out. I suspect, as noted, you'd end up with a very dry patty, assuming you could get it to hold together (with might be possible with the addition of a raw egg?? -- but why bother?).

If you are trying to combine the flavors, I've seen a few menus where they top a burger with pulled pork. Maybe do something like that. Grind your beef, cook it, then top it with some thin-sliced brisket (similar to a bacon cheese burger, maybe)

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    I agree with JeffJ I think that's a potentially poor practice to get into, mixing cooked meat with uncooked ground anything. You risk undercooking the ground and/or overcooking the brisket. I would either do all cooked or all uncooked and error toward the safe side.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    I don't think it will work. Keep in mind that ground beef needs to be cooked to 160 internal in order to be safe to eat. Mixing in some already thoroughly cooked brisket seems like it would just dry out.

I'd use that brisket in soup or chili.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    I've never tried this but I suspect the cooked stuff would have a hard time binding together.

Leave a comment:

• Flat Rocker
    started a topic Question about grinding your own hamburger

Question about grinding your own hamburger

I knew we had a meat grinding attachment kit for the Kitchen Aid mixer somewhere, and I finally found it this week.
    I'm thinking of getting a chuck roast or chuck eye steak if available, and mixing it with some brisket.
    The brisket has already been smoked, vacuum sealed, and frozen. Can I mix the already cooked brisket with raw chuck to make hamburger or would it be better to use all raw meat, .i.e. get a brisket flat and chuck and grind it together?
    Could I just grind up the smoked brisket by itself and throw the patties on the grill to basically just warm it back up?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here