Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do we post for veggie burgers? :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do we post for veggie burgers? :)

My vegetarian daughter is coming home in a few weeks, so I want to give her a mushroom burger option. Any one had any success with a recipe they can share? Any other vegetarian BBQ recipes are welcome too.

Thx

A what burger??? Is that like a unicorn?

As you can tell, I am no help, just got a couple of wannabe jokes. I am sure somebody around here can actually help though.

Comment

• Hugh
      Hugh commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, I knew I was going to take some flak for this with this crew!

I think yer already in th most accurate place, Brother!

It jus sez burgers, not what they might be made of...

Others I saw were Fruits & Veggies, Herbs, Salads, and Slaws , an Other entrees...

Comment

Ya might try Portobello Burger at simplyeats.com for your vegetablanian daughter. They look really cool & taste good also. Had one once.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        OMG those are killer. Done right they are so like eating meat it's ridiculous.

The other two premade ones that are getting good reviews are Beyond Burger and Impossible Burger. Their websites list availability. Serious Eats probably has a recipe for a portabella burger.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve seen these on Whole Foods lately. They actually aren’t bad, but they won’t fool anyone. Be careful not to over cook, they get dry quickly.

Black bean burgers don't suck too badly.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        There's a restaurant here that makes them. Not as good as portobello but not too bad.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I like them with a lot of hot sauce. I try to do this only once a year or so, though!

K.

• wu7y
        wu7y commented
        Editing a comment
        ". . . don't suck too badly." I love it.

That's what my mother used to call a left handed compliment - like, "she doesn't sweat much for a fat girl." Or more politely - damned by faint praise.

As EdF mentioned, the Beyond Burgers I’m told are really good. A good friend of mine texted me recently:

"I dare you to try the Beyond Burgers. Taste like the real thing. Beyond is like voodoo, I was like this is beef."

Haven't yet tried them myself, but I will.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve had a hard time believing they tasted the same Polarbear777 Still wanna try them, I’m not a huge turkey burger fan, and SWMBO has made a major diet change since January. Hoping they’re an acceptable alternative for both of us!

• Hugh
        Hugh commented
        Editing a comment
        I've had Beyond Burgers at A&W. Seemed fine it was so covered in ketchup/mayo/mustard and stuff, I have no idea what the burger itself actually tasted like. I am going to see if Whole Foods up here carries them. They would be a big hit for the family get together.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        To be clear the don’t taste like turkey. Just not what you expected. Kind of like a burger made from some creature you aren’t familiar with. Like I say, they taste good, but I’m skeptical of any claimed health advantage and they aren’t cheap.

I’d start here at Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ck-recipe.html

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Man that burger is literally drug through the garden !!!

Post veggie burger recipes right here. I find some veggie burgers to be downright great, especially when compared to the over cooked beef burgers served by the likes of Chili’s or Applebee’s, where I always go veggie. Veggie burgers are often much moister and more flavorful than the typical chain restaurant burger. I do tend to avoid those that claim to "taste like meat". Go for a good black bean burger via a Google search for one from ATK, Cooks Illustrated, or Serious Eats.

Comment

Veggie burgers? Git a rope!

Comment

• Hugh
          Hugh commented
          Editing a comment
          Made me laff!

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          No rope—not as long as they don’t claim to taste like real burger—compare a Chili’s "burger" to their veggie burger. Which tastes better? NOT which tastes more like (dry) beef?

Reminds me of the comment at the 15 second mark of this coke commercial.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, turkeys are for Thanksgiving, vegetable are for salads...

I hadn't seen this article before, but pretty much sums up what I experienced.

Comment

I don't know how to do it yet but I've had good jackfruit. Maybe I should do my first smoke on my veggie grill and try it.

Comment

• Hugh
            Hugh commented
            Editing a comment
            Had to google this as well. Wikipedia says "It may be used by vegetarians as a substitute for meat such as pulled pork". Smoke it and let us know the results!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Go for it !!!

I've done a burger where the patty was made with a mix of grated halloumi, grated carrots and an egg. It turned out pretty good.

You want a 60/40 mix of halloumi/carrots. Grate them using the same grater (hole size). Mix in a bowl with an egg (or two, depending on how large a batch you're making). Add salt, pepper (and other spices if you like).

Fry them on the griddle, or in a frying pan on the grill. If you are placing them directly on the grates, use a so called frog mat so they will firm up without sticking to or falling through the grates.

Start with the bottom half of the bun, and:
          1. spread some sriracha mayonnaise on the bun
          2. Add avocado slices
          3. Add rocket salad
          4. Add some chopped sundried tomatoes (the ones that are stored in a jar in oil, not the fully dried stuff)
          5. Add the burger
          6. Add some roasted pumpkin seeds
          7. Add pickled red onion
          8. Seal it with the top bun

Note: I assume your daughter is vegetarian, not vegan. Hence the suggestion to use halloumi.

Comment

• Hugh
            Hugh commented
            Editing a comment
            Henrik - I had to google halloumi AND rocket salad! This sounds very good. I will score some points with my girls for this. Thankyou.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice recipe Hank !!

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            OK Henrik, ya made me do it, your recipe:
            Take a bottom half of bun - take a bite out of it.
            Done.

The heck with the Beyond Burgers, we should have bought their stock!! https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...n-market-debut

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            It's probably going to go much higher. Currently, it's sitting at $68.52. I might have to consider getting in.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack all I ask is the customary finders fee of 3-5%.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here