Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on a simple pasteurization technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugh
    commented on 's reply
    Jerod Broussard - is it childish of me that I take pleasure in the fact that there is a moderator on here that likes burgers even more cooked than me??

On a more serious note, your my safety guide. How do you feel about the following safety strategy for grinding my own?

At the front - boil the exterior of roast and fat.

Keep things clean and cool.

Only grind what cooking today.

Grill to 140 and hold for 12.1 minutes in a preheated oven at greater than 140 at all times.

• RobertC
    commented on 's reply
    They think you can go from frozen way way solid (0 deg F) to 140 deg F in 14 minutes? Also, what's "log reduction"?

(Ah: "x log reduction" means a decrease by 10^-x, or 1/10^x)
    Last edited by RobertC; April 27, 2019, 11:56 AM.

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Came across this this morning, not a definitive article on the issue but it does illustrate the importance of the food supply chain and proper technique: https://www.foxnews.com/health/e-col...ef-sickens-177

Leave a comment:

• Hugh
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the link JimLinebarger. Meathead references the same 12.1 minutes to pasteurize at 140 degrees as the article I mentioned. I suspect Meatheads was the original! The only twist is Meathead considers cranking back and holding the kettle temp where as my article suggests popping them into the kitchen oven and being held at over 140 degrees. I just thought the kitchen oven technique made this a viable option since it is so simple. I'm going to study the temp fluctuations in the oven.

• JimLinebarger
    replied
    Meathead has an article "Hamburger Secrets: How The Zen Master Prepares A Real Happy Meal Hamburger" where he talks about 4 methods to combat e-coli and have medium rare burgers. I used the boiling method.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    That’s what I like to do when I’m not making smash burgers. I go three full hours to full pasteurization level.

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Thankfully I don't care for the texture of 130-140-F burgers. 165-180-F is my cup of tea E. coli free.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    Sous vide dash app says 22 minutes need held at 140 to achieve log 6 reduction for listeria (19 minutes for salmonella at log 6.5 and 9.5 minutes for E. coli if log 5).

Click image for larger version  Name:	61FAF19D-030B-45C4-9F32-D9A5F446911E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	132.1 KB ID:	670426

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    replied
    I grind my own and do 'em 1 of 3 ways, smashed and cooked to 160, straight reverse sear to 160, or SV 131/1-3 hrs then seared. Never gotten sick from under-cooked hamburger, that I know of, but why take the chance.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    Is that enough time? Seems like it should be 20-25 minutes at 140.

I always SV mine for far longer and finish unles making straight smash burgers.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    If you grind your own meat, I suggest dipping the meat in boiling water for ~ 30 seconds to kill any surface contamination. The grind...

• Bkhuna
    replied
    It's not just safety. I've had fun making grinds with a mixture of cuts a la Serious Eats

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    I think this may have been inspired by Douglas Baldwin’s work concerning sous vide pasteurization . He is a mathematician at the University of Colorado but he has a site with all his cooking data here: http://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

beside the mathematics on the website, in the appendix he has the government tables for holding at temperature.
    Last edited by Donw; April 26, 2019, 11:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    +1 Totally agree that grinding your own is a good, safe practice. Even though my brain says that sous vide pasteurization should be perfectly fine ... I just can't bring myself to risk my gut on store-ground beef.

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Seems good to me. Especially if you grind your own meat.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here