Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Act one: Beer Can Bacon Beef Burgers and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Act one: Beer Can Bacon Beef Burgers and others

Today was to be a bacon binge.
    My first attempt that had its challenges but we overcame.

On the menu was Bacon and that was to partner with a few other components. The main attraction was the Beer Can Bacon Burger with co-stars Bacon Bread and Bacon Onion Rings.
    I’ll elaborate on the outcome at the end but let me walk you through the scenario with a basic explanation accompanied by some reasonable photos using my daughter’s camera and some taken with my cell phone.

A beer can to start the plot and it needed a quick dressing and undressing for the show to continue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2190.jpg BCBB beer can.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	654748Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2195.jpg BCBB can meat.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	654749

The bacon made a first appearance with coverage of the meat.

Name:	SAM_2198.jpg BCBB uncook 2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	654750

The thread seemed a little hollow so some action needed to be taken. This was filled in by support acts, caramelised onions followed by fried rooms and white cheddar and Gouda covered the rest.

Name:	SAM_2218.jpg BCBB uncooked.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	654751

The star performer wanted more dough and it was rolled out, covered and things spiralled into shape and that’s when senior onion became a ring-in.

Name:	SAM_2205.jpg bread bacon.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	654753Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2217.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	654752

In order for the conspiracy to work some hot action was necessary. They all took part in the first shoot and then others were written out and had to settle on being second fiddle with a different heat. A few aliens were thrown in to keep an eye on things and they made the call.

Name:	SAM_2223.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	654754

Name:	20190324_193504.jpg BCBB on kettle.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	654755

The show came to an end and the lead role took a bow.

Name:	SAM_2233.jpg BCBBurger 2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	654756

Name:	20190324_195108.jpg BCBB bun halved.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	654757

The bananas were there in case of a poor performance.

In a nutshell I was happy with my first attempt with lots of improvement next time.
    The burger was a little on the dry side despite the fillings and had a kind of meatloaf taste. This was mainly due to me wanting to cook at 350F and the kettle was settledat temp when I loaded and it.
    I think because of the cram in the kettle and the foil platter plate (thought I might as well use those that I had over) somehow didn’t allow for a heat build-up or distribution?

I let it run for close on an hour in the hope it would get up to my target but wasn’t going any higher than 280F.
    I removed the platter plate and moved the bacon bread to the house oven.

Got back up to target temp quickly and the bacon onion rings were in for about 20 mins before I pulled them. I believe if only the BCBB and onion rings were put in at 350F they wouldn’t have needed much more than half hour or so to done.

A nice mushroom sauce to top the burger at the end would also have been a much better idea (was my original plan). The onion rings were awesome. The bread was doughy even after the oven. It must have spent too long in kettle at low temp.

Will definitely be doing this again in search of better results.

Great concept. Looks delicious.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx. Will be better with some practice.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand and am looking forward tomthose too. I think it makes a great presentation for a burger.

Great idea! I’d happily eat "mistakes" like that 👍

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks it was very edible but short of very good.

Very creative, I love it!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Gaining confidence with what I'm learning, leading to creativity.

I got a little lost in the description. However, I would eat that in a second.

Comment

I agree - very creative.

Comment

Holy snickees Batman, that is one unique cook !! Love to try one of them !!!

Comment

Nice. I my steal this.

Comment

I just felt an artery clog up reading that.
            Looks great!

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              We all leave one way or another.

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              So true!

What? Who? How? What the heck? And Carling Black Label? Speechless. In awe.

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Note Beer not a Lager

That is a great idea. I am going to have to give this one a try

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice thing is let your taste buds run wild with the filling.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here