Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The greatest F$@!?NG burger ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is "THE HAMBURGER"...just missing a very very good dark beer :-)..spectacular, congrats Ernest!

Comment

therokes it was missing from the picture but it was actually involved in the meal. I had it with Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout

Comment

Ernest the parentheses in this comment of yours had me confused. Since I had never heard of miso paste, I was beginning to wonder if anchovy paste/miso paste/fish sauce was the same...whereas the fish sauce I have is more soy sauce-like so instead of Googling I wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks for clarifying. I have a first press sauce but a Thai brand.

I added several dabs to each burger as I pattied them, since w/o your above clarification I decided to to simply experiment with it on my own. After all, that's where 'experience' comes from, ha ha. And my experience now suggests I used way too much... They were overly rich, and I seasoned both sides with Southern Flavor which in hindsight pepper only was the way to go (Duh moment) w/ salty fish sauce added....but again, experience...

I made 5 patties out of 2lbs, and it's hard to believe I used 2Tbsp total in those 5 patties. I think it was too much for my tastes, but I can definitely see its potential. Next time I will halve the amount of fish sauce and use only pepper.

Thank you for sharing your technique!

Comment

Huskee yeah if you add it to patties it doesn't spread out evenly. Thai fish sauce is much stronger than vietnamese. That's why I try to stress the "Vietnamese". I use red boat exclusively. Try to find a brand that specifies grade (40° N is highest quality)
          Miso is fermented soybean paste. Some add barley rice etc to it. My favorite brand is Miso Master. Red miso is great in burgers and beef stews (added at the very end with heat turned off) You don't want to boil miso.

Comment

• Ray
            Ray commented
            Editing a comment
            I've also dissolved miso paste in an injectable brine for turkey breast and the flavor profile is very good, especially for poultry IMHO.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Ray Miso makes the best sweet mashed potatoes too

I'm making Sous Vide burgers tonight! First time. You are great Ernest. Bun recipe please and thank you. Is that Dutch Crunch coating, egg wash?

Comment

Moscuba bun/ bread recipe is in the bread section. Yep, egg wash.

Comment

Hey Ernest, I just did a comparison cook with burgers. 500 grams of minced meat split into four burgers. Two got the fish sauce treatment, and two did not. I must say the fish sauce made a difference, suble, but it just tasted better. So from now on I will use fish sauce. Great, thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

You're welcome Henrik
                Last edited by Ernest; June 16, 2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here