Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, What's The Point....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, What's The Point....

...of grinding brisket point into hamburger when it's so tasteless? Bought a medium sized choice brisket about 3 weeks ago, trimmed and separated the point, dunked the flat into the curing caldron, and ground the point into approx 75/25 burger. Prepared burgers in a tried and true SV/sear method, and other than what was added to them the meat was pretty tasteless. No beef flavor at all. There was plenty of marbling and I was looking forward to some unctuousness. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Just can't beat a nicely marbled chuck roast for homeground.

I agree. There are better uses for brisket than making it into hamburgers.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually smoke it and make chili or BE's.

If you can find it, give chuck-eye steak a try. For the past several years it's been my go-to for burgers. It's cut from the same muscle as ribeye ... but sells for chuck prices.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will have to try this.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a much harder working portion of the same muscle. The strip steak is the same muscle as well, just at the sirloin end it gets a bit tougher... nerve end. Chuck eye is nice, though. But needs a bit more care than eye of ribeye or strip.

I don't know what kind of brisket they have where you are but I've done it a lot and love brisket burgers. I'm an 80/20 guy and use the brisket fat culled from other briskets during trimming. Now I won't argue that chuck is a fine choice as well, but I wouldn't say it was superior. But hey, each to his own....carry on.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had a mix of 40% chuck - 40% boneless short ribs - 20% brisket made for me

and they were dam good.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Now if you want to talk about shorties into burgers, now you're speaking my language !!

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the brisket/chuck/short rib combo.

Maybe it was the SV’ing thing of the burgers. 😎

Maybe they needed to be treated like burgers.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah, I do 'em both ways and they turn out great. SV is a good technique for a thick burger. My favorite is to smash 'em on the flattop, though.

add a little bacon to the grind

Comment

Here is some infor on the perfect burger . I hate a dull burger .
      playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2012/04/quest-for-perfect-burger.html

Comment

It seems to me that a high fat cut of meat like that is better suited to an environment where the fat can render and the meat will be scrumptious to 165 internal. I would consider a leaner cut for SV burgers and maybe be a tad aggressive with the seasoning, or add some partly-to-mostly cooked chopped bacon to your mix.

Comment

Maybe a bad brisket?

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Looked good, smelled great, nice and floppy, well-marbled point. This cow might have just forgot to show up for flavor day.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Weird. If it smells tasty, should be tasty, as nose rules tongue.

Wow, I have never had a brisket point that was flavorless, that is usually where a TON of flavor is.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I was pretty disappointed. I think I'll give 'em the 'ol lonnie mac mustard smash tonight and see where that goes.

The point is the muscle on top of the flat. But I thought you knew that...

Comment

I find brisket point so seldom where I live that I probably would not use it for burger. Never tried but I would have expected a good flavour.

Comment

• BRic
              BRic commented
              Editing a comment
              try tenderloin meats you can buy the whole brisket or have them cut it for point or flat. I have seen one guy take point only . few times I have taken flat only .

• jgreen
              jgreen commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks BRic. I have not tried there.

I stopped using brisket and pork butt in my burger grind. Now I use chuck roll and prime rib (minus the ribeye cap).

Comment

So, I did some tonight a la smash burger and they were pretty good. Thanks everyone for the feedback, but I won't be using brisket point for hamburger again because there are a few better options, and, at the end of the day, well, what's the point.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Badda boom. I take your point.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here