Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to buy for home ground burgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to buy for home ground burgers?

I borrowed a grinder attachment from my sister for my Kitchenaid Mixer because I want to grind up some meat for burgers. What meat should I buy? A chuck roast? Something else?

My go-to is chuck eye steak ... perfect for burgers.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I second that.

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, chuck. I like to go 80/20 chuck and slab bacon, thick cut.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Likewise! Be sure to keep everything really cold.

Nothing but chuck. Never was into those multi- cut blends that all taste like beef.

Comment

I always use chuck roast. They come out great every time. Don't trim the fat - to be safe it needs to be cooked to 160 internal that fat will keep it moist.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        re:food safety. The tragic E. Coli poisonings are from bulk ground beef sold by various outlets. They may purchase a ton of beef from Australia, find a cheaper ton from Brazil, a few tons from the US (I don't know the volumes, I am suggesting this as an example!) Put them all together, grind them up, shape, freeze, distribute. One nice contaminated chunk can then spread through large volumes of meat.

That is very very different from you grinding a piece of meat and then cooking it at home.

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
      to be safe it needs to be cooked to 160 internal
      ... or you can SV the burger patties for a few hours at 133 deg. F, then season and sear over a super hot grill or with a torch so you can serve perfectly safe medium (or even medium rare) burgers.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; December 10, 2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        If you don't have a SV, you can put the whole chunk of meat in boiling water for ~ 30 seconds to kill all the nasties. Then you can cook to any temp you want.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm just going to grind and cook my burgers like normal.

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        I make medium rare all the time and I'm still cooking(cough,hack wheeze)

Chuck roast for me as well. You can sort of eyeball it for fat content and I've never had a fail with it. Also, as far as I'm concerned I quit doing the "firm-up" thing in the freezer as it seemed hard on the KA unit. I just cut into 1 1/2" cubes and they go right through. Do check out MH's burger/sausage making guide as it is pretty informative. You're going to LOVE home-ground! Perhaps there will be a case of MCS in your future.....
      Last edited by CaptainMike; December 10, 2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I already have a persistent chronic case of MCS.

I've done chuck and chuck eye with great results, but my number one go to of late is brisket, especially the nice fatty point meat. Just a wonderful flavor profile without the need to add any fat to the grind. Good luck with whatever you choose, hard to mess up a hamburger regardless and much better than the hum-drum store bought stuff.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        JeffJ - I don't think you'll need the bacon with short ribs!

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed EdF. Besides, when I try short ribs (probably next week) I want to see what they taste like on their own.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        We'll be waiting to hear your results JeffJ

Try to get plate shorts. The chuck back-rib shorts are going to be a repeat of chuck.

What it the difference between chuck eye steak and chuck roast?

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Eye couldn't say....

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        The chuck eye steak sits between the chuck primal and rib primal. It's almost as tender and pretty much just as flavorful as a ribeye but is much less expensive. Here's a link to one explanation: https://www.thespruceeats.com/tips-f...e-steak-995240

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess I'll see what I find at the butcher.

Here's a write up I did a while back about chuck eyes. Kind of hard to find in my area, not too popular. When I do get them they're cheaper than ribeye (and really as good !!) but nowhere near as cheap as regular chuck. I'd stick with a good old chuck steak for burgers if it were me....

I've read some recent posts concerning tenderness complaints after grilling some chuck eye steaks. For those who may not know anything about this cut perhaps a little anatomy

Comment

I just did 50/50 Angus chuck roll and Angus ribeye.

Comment

Chuck roast here but I get beef ribs pretty cheap so I use a 70/30 blend of chuck roast/beef rib meat.

Comment

I picked up a half a chuck roast (about 3 pounds) and some beef short ribs. I trimmed up the ribs and added the trim to the chuck, then I divided it into 3 packages. Because I have the ribs and a chicken on hand I'm going to freeze all of the future hamburger. But now I'll be ready to go when the time comes.

Comment

i like a mix of brisket, and shortrib. 2nd choice is chuck.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent!

Try Picanha. Amazing burgers and it has a huge fat cap so you can grind a lot of that into it too. I’ve also added extra brisket flat into this mix. Lately I’ve been making small patties for smash burgers. The fat is awesome for that. Very tasty.

Comment

The burgers were amazing. No pics though so you'll have to take my word for it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think th ear to ear smile in yer avatar pic might jus say it all, Brother!

I'm convinced, anyhow!

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm smiling because my girlfriend is going to make homemade brioche buns for our next home ground burgers.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great Glorioski! Homemade brioche?
                  It jus gits better, an better!

My tail is waggin, clean back here in th Plains!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here