Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex?

I'm mulling over picking up a Vortex (yeah, just what I need - another piece of gear). Has anyone tried a Vortex for reverse searing burgers? Might be easier than raising the charcoal grate?

I have done it for 5 burgers with the fat part of the Votex up and about half full of charcoal. I started the burgers on the side and got them to the internal temp then put them over the direct heat to reverse sear them. Worked well. If you needed more burgers then you would have to start them in batches. You know it does not take long to sear them. You have to stand there and watch them like any other searing method.

Comment

If you go to the Votex site you can do a lot more with it. I really like mine and I don't like a pile of gadgets either. Another good thing about it is sometimes I am only cooking for two and it keeps the coals together and you don't need as many. That is my opinion.

Comment

Ok, I'm in. The only sad part is - that vortexbbq sends you elsewhere to get it... and once I get elsewhere I see all those nifty mods and I'm in gear acquisition mode again... They have a hinge for the WSM lid... And wheels... and nomex gaskets for the door... and... what did I go there to buy again? Oh yeah - the Vortex.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahaha. I like it. But man that sucker does get HOTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

I am doing some chicken wings this weekend. Did I say that thing gets hot?

• scorched_porch
          scorched_porch commented
          Editing a comment
          Hells yes it gets hot. Reaching over the middle of the grill to flip the burgers when they were on the other side indirect I about melted my arm. I'm thinking some nice thick seared sushi grade tuna steaks are in my future soon.

I got mine from owensbbq.com. They ship quickly and they have 3 different sizes, not just 2.

Comment

• scorched_porch
          scorched_porch commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, I got mine from the same spot. Ordered the medium.

You will like it. I got my from Owens too and was surprised when in showed up in two days.

Comment

I use mine overtime I do anything other than smoke. I used it the past xmas to do two large prime rib roasts. They turned out great. The vortex is worth it and it only helps to up your game.

Comment

You will be happy. For burgers, I use the big end up also.

Comment

Ok, the jury is in. I LOVE that thing. Like cooking off of a jet engine. Small end up, I easily did 6 juicy lucy burgers indirect and reverse seared them over the volcano. They were perfectly done. This will be my go to method for burgers from now on!

Comment

Scorch glad to hear that. I agree with you. Once you get the hang of the reverse sear you can't beat the Votex for sear. Have you tried chicken wings around the Votex? Really good.

Comment

I did some Country Style Ribs to see if I could keep the temp down around 225-250 for my Chinese Ribs, worked perfect.

I need to let my chicken wings dry brine for 48 hours on the next cook. Maybe add some baking soda to the salt.

Comment

• Medusa
                    Medusa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm not an expert here, but are you sure you want to brine wings for 48 hours? The recommendation in the Cook's recipe that I use is no longer than 30 minutes.

This is a wet brine, though. Mebbe I ought to read MH's article on dry brining.

from CI, "If you buy whole wings, cut them into 2 pieces [ wings, drummie ] before brining. Don’t brine the wings for more than 30 minutes or they’ll be too salty."

OK. Read the Dry Brining article and can't wait to try it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here