Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting ready to challenge a burger snob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love all types of burgers, but think my current favorite is a smash burger, done either on a flattop griddle or in a cast iron pan.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
      Frozen Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree! Since I got my flat top it's the only way I do burgers any more but it also works on a good cast iron skillet. Can't beat the carmelization that you only get from a griddle or cast iron pan. If you want to step it up get some wagyu burger from SRF.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Frozen Smoke couldn't agree more. Since introducing smash burgers to my customers I've had almost all say that it is the best burger they've eaten. Only thing they call them "Squash Burgers" because I somehow introduced them by that name and its stuck..

• Skelly
      Skelly commented
      Editing a comment
      jgreen my buddy grilled smash burgers for me the last time I visited them (not the challenger). They were awesome. I can't wrap my head around what makes them different, mostly because I've been too lazy to research it. But it was definitely great.

Jheesh, I think the best burger would be so simple. Get some good burger grind, smash it between your hands, put it on a hot grill, watch the juices flow, flip, salt and pepper; put it on a good bun and allow the eater to choose toppings. When did life get so complicated where this simple formula doesn't work any more?

Comment

• Skelly
      Skelly commented
      Editing a comment
      For what it's worth treesmacker - that's generally how I do it. Just having some fun with friends.

I agree with the above, I wouldn't do ribeye burgers. I would go with a nice fresh chuck and I might add in a little pig suet if you can find it. Grind it coarse, pack it loose and sprinkle liberally with something like flake salt, maybe a bit of pepper at the end of the cook. I'd reverse sear or grill over a hot charcoal fire. Just my $0.02.

Comment

• THE Humble Texan
      THE Humble Texan commented
      Editing a comment
      no matter what you wind up with keep an extra one in the fridge for 2 days and warm it up for a real test. When the leftover is as good as the right off the grill you know you have a winner.

Home ground chuck (I eyeball the roasts for about 20-25% fat), 8 oz x1/2", salt/pepper/dusting of GP both sides, SV 132/2hrs, pat dry then air dry for 30 mins while gasser gets the GrillGrates screaming hot, rub with avocado oil, sear both sides 1-1 1/2 mins (or until nice and crunchy), serve with buns/condiments of choice. All of my friends, including the finicky little kids, love 'em.

Comment

• Hugh
      Hugh commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike - do you leave the fat cap on? Is that included in the 20-25% fat content?

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Hugh it's definitely a swag, but I rarely trim unless there's a large chunk of fat.

We have a fairly new burger joint here called Killer Burger that uses a peanut butter based sauce as a topping. Flippin' amazing! I would have never thought to try that. The combination of peanut butter, pickles and bacon on a burger is magical.

Comment

• Skelly
      Skelly commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow Rod ... is the PB taste strong on it? Not sure how i'd feel about that, but would try one for myself first. I'm not throwing good beef away even if it's not my favorite, and you just never know...

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Skelly It's not over powering, but it's unmistakable. Again, it's a thick sauce, but not nearly as thick as straight peanut butter.

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a BP&J burger at a place in Indiana once. It was delicious. Never would’ve thought those would go well together, but they do!

I still prefer charcaol grilled burgers to smash burgers (which I'm making tonight indoors, BTW), but that sear really is something special:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1099.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	589585

Comment

If I am grilling a burger I like to add bacon right to the burger before it is grilled. Use a knife or a few pulses in a food processor to chop up the raw bacon and mix in with the beef. I've gone as high as 25% bacon.

Comment

• ILikePigButts
        ILikePigButts commented
        Editing a comment
        Is it better to cook the bacon first or add it raw?

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        I cook my burgers to Medium (150) when I grill them so I add the bacon raw.

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        Here in California we have a chain called Slater’s 50/50. They’re famous for their 50/50 burger which is...50% ground beef, 50% ground bacon. It’s pretty darn good, but if I were to make it at home I’d only do 25% bacon. At 50% it’s hard to taste the beef.

I grind up brisket, pork rib flap meat, bacon, onion powder, granulated garlic, and brisket fat to a ratio of 75-25, comes out real tasty, have never had any complaints from those served

Comment

• Brewmaster
        Brewmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        I have done both fat burgers and smash burgers, depends on what you feel like at the time

I’m doing some tonight, I found on sale a boneless ribeye and some short ribs (about a 1lb each). Remove silver skin and extra hard fat. I food processor (I like this over grinder for sheer cleaning reasons) kosher salt, Worcestershire and some veggie oil. Always super hot cast iron skillet. If you have people who don’t like red or pink centers I make them really thin so I can keep them still flavorful and not dry and bunt. But if you want some red you have to practice with the time and temp. I get my grill as hot as I can 550° and I make mine 3/4 to 1 inch and it’s 3:30 to 4 min each side.

Comment

TheGov Take that trimmed fat, render it down under low heat. Then take the liquid fat and brush it on to the burgers as you cook them. Talk about up the beefy flavor! Or if you are doing it on a CI skillet, throw some in the pan prior to searing. Your guests will thank you.

Good Luck and thank you for your years of support! We hope to hear more from you!

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Cook it down to cracklin's and save them, too, finely chopped or gound up, to enhance the beefiness of chili, carne guisada, pot roast, etc.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, Hail Yeah, Brother gcdmd !
        I always do, musta got that idea from yerself

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah, that is always a good play, gcdmd Mr. Bones

Rod Some "Shake Shacks" do the peanut butter burger. Amazing! If served it's off menu must ask.

Comment

I agree with grinding your own. However, I have found a local farm and their fresh ground beef is fantastic. Bottom line the more fresh the better the burger.

Comment

Ha, surprised this thread popped back up in my messages. Life has been crazy lately, so I've hardly been on the site. No date set for the challenge, and my doc has me on a special diet for a couple months (beef ain't on it lol), so it won't be terribly soon.

Comment

Let us know what you finally end up doing, Skelly . In the meanwhile, feel better soon.

Kathryn

Comment

Hugh it depends on how you are cookin em. If in a skillet or griddle just cook em in lots of butter. If you’re grillin em put a tab of butter on each final side & also liberally butter the bun topped with some fried onions. The mixing of butter in the meat is an interesting thought though. A little cheese won’t hurt the affair also.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here