Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The perfect burger is beef and salt.. maybe pepper. What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The perfect burger is beef and salt.. maybe pepper. What do you think?

Hey! Al here, I'm not a chef just a cook passionate about lighting up the grill. Super into burgers, one of my obsessions.. they look so simple, yet so complex.

I just finished eating some burgers I did today for one of my teammate's birthday and decided to write down some thoughts about what I think are a must in a burger, what do you guys think?

> Has to be freshly ground meat. Mix of chuck and fat, looking for 20-30% fat content.
    > Keep it simple: The perfect burger is beef and salt.. maybe pepper. Do not 'over-top' them.
    > You want a hot grill, the hottest. And once it's on the grill, do not touch it. 2-3 min per side and flip.
    > Yeah, you need cheese. American, the best one.. melts so perfect.
    > Bun? Potato rolls.. soft and consistent. Perfect bun : patty ratio.
    - (Wasn't lucky today finding them (potato buns) in the supermarket, had to buy this "artisanal" bread they had)

Here is a picture of my lunch!

Click image for larger version

Name:	burger.png
Views:	202
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	550283
    Last edited by Al-FogoCharcoal; August 17, 2018, 05:08 PM. Reason: First time posting something haha.

I like to mix it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vXbAWvnmqZIDvzfOzqWlHE4XfEUjn9nv4YPZr8yXvq1IB2St-We59vLivMH7YUByKJFLiCsNflmUx0Hu7qTM1USTmhmwXvS68Gl7NNFOwRR0wl4uNi39HQGjF5TQYmITJbrGB0fUcKzBjavjalUm3uPTj6WMf9hj1PPQo4WTaz_wXlxzDe12XV3k5eYu8NhDOsXnqpJDylLtSMdbRiXt5TipEbBbYX36elb6f41qEn58XTLsHE0IiB8IJIV27sc
Views:	190
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	550289

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      In that burger's case I used store bought bacon, but used hickory to add smoke to both the bacon and burger.

I am however gearing up to make my own bacon which I have not done before. I buy must of my pork from my sister, and have a stack of pork bellies waiting in my freezer. I'll rely on this forum for advice.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey my burger friend. Do not take this the wrong way but can you introduce me to your sister? what is this business about pork bellies?

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Al-FogoCharcoal commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack let us know how it goes!

Aside from the artisanial bread that looks pretty damn delicious.
    And welcome aboard Al.

Comment

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      Artisanal bread not that great to be honest.. only option at the supermarket today. Potato rolls are the way to go for sure.

Thanks you very much! Stoked to be part of this community, excited to keep learning about bbq.

Agree 100%, especially the fat content. While most people are looking for 95 or 98% lean I know of a place in town that sells 73%. There's just no comparison, the no fat burger is tasteless while the fat laden burger is juicy and bursting with flavor.

Comment

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      I like grinding my own meat to be honest (haha - do not overthink that). Jokes aside, I ground a 3# picanha and a 2# tenderloin. Nice fat content in there!

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      ribeyeguy I don’t grind my own meat as much as I should. But when I do. I definitely try to go in the 70/30 range.
      That mix is soooo good.

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      Steve B definitely worth it! Never buying already packed ground beef again for my burgers.

I love doing smash burgers on my Griddle. I've been using ground sirloin recently and have been really pleased with the results. I do agree with just simple seasoning, salt and pepper is what I only use also. I'm 100% an American cheese guy also. She enjoys pepper jack. I've switched to the King's Hawaiian hamburger rolls. They brown up so nicely on the Griddle.

Comment

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      Haha my girlfriend also enjoys pepper jack! I like how the american cheese wraps the patty while it melts. Today I ground picanha and tenderloin, love that meat : fat ratio.

• Goes To 11
      Goes To 11 commented
      Editing a comment
      Burgers have been the bane of my grill. I have tried all different recipes, techniques, meat with no real success until I just tried smashing burgers on a frying pan preheated in my grill. So much better even with grocery store lean ground meat. I think that I have to get myself a real griddle.

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      Goes To 11 like everything, practice makes perfection. The bad/sad thing about burgers.. is the diet haha!

Welcome to The Pit. My favorite burger is the one in my hand.

Comment

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha thanks! Enjoying my time here.

Only thing to add is a nice strong cheddar cheese. ooooo

Comment

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      You know.. haven’t tried cheddar on my burgers yet. Apart from the American cheese, on of my favorites is the muenster.. great cheese!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I've tried them all and each brings its qualities for sure, but my favorite remains good ol' fake American melty cheese, just like the fast food chains use.

• ImmersionFD
      ImmersionFD commented
      Editing a comment
      My goto cheese for a burger is sharp cheddar or amazing ribs pimento cheese recipe.

I've made a burger or two. I'm not sure what your criteria is for a perfect burger?

If your using the sirloin and tenderloin I'm afraid your eating a leaner burger that 80/20. It's matter not if if suits you and is tasty. The flavor and fat comes from the sirloin in your mix. Grinding your own is SO, SO MUCH BETTER. Nice work there.

ribeyeguy
    Is they are saying 73% likely they are buying preground meat labeled that way or are very skilled technicians or butchers. Sounds great!

Ground sirloin takes a sear like a champion. I pre grind a sirloin mix for my wife to use during the week. She and the kids love it.

Welcome to the Pit!!

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      If you didn't already have such a good handle on here you could easily be called "Burger King".

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      The best burger is the one in HH's avatar!

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey hahaha yeah, "perfect" burger it’s so relative right.. but burger-talking I like my burgers simple, but complex. In one bite I want to feel and taste what that burger is all about. Super difficult to come with THE formula.. i’m miles away.

About the patty (fat content), I’ve tried multiples. Picanha is loaded with this fresh, thick fat layer. For me, suits perfectly with the sirloin

I’m stoked that you start out with a burg like that, wow! I’m a simple guy. I like my burgers on a good bun with mustard & onions, fried or raw depending on how I feel. Now it’s just me, cuz I want to enjoy the meat, but no salad on my burgers. Oh, how can I forget the cheese, various kinds, again depending. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Beef, mustard, onions.... I'm on it. I'm so needing that before bed right Now! Had a brat n mustard for dinner. Whoosh!!

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      We’re on the same train! Mustard and onions sounds perfect for me. However, I think mayo is a must in a burger.. adds that little extra to it. Grill on!

Salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Smash burger double patty stacked with cheddar cheese pickles ketchup mayo and mustard. Have not gotten into grinding my own meat yet, but really want to!

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Either way I'd eat that right now. Feeling your vibe at the moment.

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      I would eat that burger right now.. top! Grinding meat is a must-try thing. Great for burgers and fun, a fresh patty is unbeatable.

I grind my own chuck. I put Lawry's season salt and granulated garlic to season. It then goes on a hot charcoal grill, melt American cheese on it and, when finished I put on a regular hamburger bun with red onions, brown mustard and tomato. It's simple but tastes great!

Comment

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a great burger! Try the potato rolls and let me know what you think.

agree with the fat ratio. I like to add pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, and chipotle into my grind. i salt and add msg while grilling. thick burgers i smoke then sear by flipping constantly so as to not overcook the interior. thin ones i press out from balls directly on a flat top or black iron, the cook 2 minutes, flip, slicht press 2 minutes, remove. i also make stuffed burgers, fried burgers, steamed burgers, lamb burgers, and as far as bread goes, brioche that has been toasted with butter, garlic, and msg are hard to beat, but ill mix it up. Heck, i have made spicey chicken burgers with waffles for buns. oh yeah, and dont forget burgers with peanutbutter instead of mayo! GASP

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I'm talking about. So many great ways to make a burger.

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      When do we open a restaurant? Haha. Will be trying this ingredients next time! Chipotle is one of my ‘secret’ ingredients in a burger, I must say. Cheers!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      door is always open. somebody usually shoes up at least 2 nights a week. thats why i always cook for two extra. never know WHO is gonna walk through.

Now if you want something really tasty get some ground pork (not sausage).

Grill it up like a burger.

After it's done dip in your favorite BBQ sauce, top with two slices of bacon then a slice of American cheese. Back in the heat for a moment to melt the cheese then onto a bun.

Enjoy

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I do these a lot, an riff on em!
      My bestest Brother, DeeWight, why, he has th Gout, so pork burgers it is, when we git together...
      He makes some one way, my dang self, another, then we all mow em off, an git all Bubba Blue on new ideals fer next time!
      Dang dang good stuff!

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      Will be trying that for sure! Thanks!

Ya'allz are inspiring me. As gonna make pork with my new ( Henrik ) Pork Rub but I'm on a burger track now..... we shall see.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I love me a good burger! Do that first, there’s time for pork later :-)

Been on a smash burgers kick salt pepper and powder ranch dressing make 2” balls set in refrigerator for a hour or so on to a very hot flat top and then smash flip add pepper jack cheese and Hawaiian style buns

Comment

• Al-FogoCharcoal
      Editing a comment
      Smash burgers are the way to go! Super fan of them.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here