Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egg in Burger Mix Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egg in Burger Mix Debate

Just started grinding my own burger beef (50% chuck / 50% short ribs), and requesting guidance from the experts on forming the burger patties. Some say add an egg to the mix (approximately 1 pound for 2 burgers), others advise no egg for fear of the "meatloaf transition" (if there is such a thing!). Thanks in advance.

I say whatever helps it stay together go for it. Purists never really spoke to me, at least I've never heard them.

Comment

I certainly think that an egg fried over easy ALWAYS makes the perfect burger even better

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Garlic and olive oil over pasta? And likely a lot of fish. Pork braised in milk? Cheese? Prosciutto? Thing is, they were a lot of independent states with their own regional cuisines, so YMMV.

• Obi-Dan
        Obi-Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        I was having same thought a few weeks ago. Plus they don’t get pasta until Marco Polo goes to China. I assume it was probably a Mediterranean style diet.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Southern Italians used citrus in savory dishes before the tomato came to southern Italy. Of course, there was no Italy in 1492. Or even 1692.

Please, Just don't do it. However... Meathead has rules... "No rules in the kitchen or bedroom."

No thats out of the way. You paid for quality beef short ribs and shoulder. That's what you want to taste in a burger. Start with that and salt n pepper. You don't need a binder for a burger. Meatloaf and meatballs have other stuff and that's totally acceptable. But please try it with beef and season first. Then make up your mind.

Im begging you please. Just don't do it. Perhaps later you may disagree with me. But first set your index to the beef and then make some changes you think you may like one at a time.

The right bun, a quality beef/mix, proper cooking and season. That is the making of a GREAT BURGER. The other stuff are variables.

post pics please.
      Good luck!
      HH

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Is this where we get into the ketchup thing? 🤔 😎

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan. NO! But, whatever makes your boat float.😀

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I agreed with Homes, no binder necessary to a well ground burger. You are using chuck and beef ribs, tons and tons of fat, that should be all you need imo.

I have done them both with and without binder material. I like them better without, my wife likes them better with. S a source of family discord.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Hatfield’s & McCoys?

I would advise no eggs. Just the very fact that adding any binder means that you have to over work the meat to incorporate it. Burgers are handled gently. Without over working the meat, you will yield a great juicy burger that will stand up to itself.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Is this a poll? Then I vote with Lonnie! 😎

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        So what EdF is says is let's get out egg on ......

• nickgutnick
        nickgutnick commented
        Editing a comment
        What EdF said. Egg on top but never in!

First time I ever added egg to a burger patty, reckon I was long bout 10-11 yrs old. Got th receipt outta th back of an ol library book on cabooses, hence th appropriate name: "Caboose Burgers".

When I showed th receipt to my Ma, she slightly cocked an eyebrow, but patiently indulged my curiosity, an I made em fer Supper that night (Had some bread crumbs in, as well).

Well, they was jus fine, served up, as writ, with taters, an gravy, on a plate...
      I don't rightly reckon I would do em up as a hamburger type sammich, though...
      Apples vs oranges, kinda sorta...

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Rust, crust! I’m tying to figger out what abhh means & how to pronounce it.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan just keeping you on your toes.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Given the iron content of the beef, and the oxidizing power of cooking, maybe crust is actually rust.

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
      Please, Just don't do it. However... Meathead has rules... "No rules in the kitchen or bedroom."
      Perhaps not, but you might need a safe word if you start putting eggs in burger grind.

Comment

Instead of egg, when I last ground my own meat - it was a little lean. So I added some pork fatback. Holy hell did that taste good.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Anything related to bacon is A OK, anywhere on anything, even vegeteranians zucchini!

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah boy, I'm sure that did!!

No egg for me unless I'm going down the meat loaf road which is a road I need to travel down again soon. I have been known to put diced onion or jalapeno in my burgers. The biggest change in my burgers came when I bought the griddle. Haven't grilled a burger since.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Grillgrates equals best of both worlds.

• nickgutnick
          nickgutnick commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, I’ve been using the grill grates for a griddle since I got them.

Egg is a gateway additive to your grind.... next thing you know there will be breadcrumbs, then onion, then peppers, then the list goes on and then all of the sudden the next thing you know you are a meatloaf addict and nobody wants to hangout with you at your bbq because of your meatloaf sandwhich problem...

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Hah, that one went right where I expected when I read "gateway"!

Ever since I got the Blackstone, I like to make smash burgers. Your grind would be perfect for that. I like to use Kenji's recipe fro smashers. Make small, golf ball sized meatballs. Don't add and salt or pepper until you have pressed the burgers. If you do this, Kenji says to handle the burger meat as little as possible. Form the smash balls, but you don't need to mix up the meat too much or they will crumble.

I also like to add some pork in the mix as well.

Comment

Spinaker this is how i do it as well. I think the less you handle the meat the better before the smash. Cant beat a good Diner Burger w/cheese. I also prefer 5 oz meatball as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	524820Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	524821Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	524822

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yuuuuup! They are so good. I would much rather have two smashed patties than one loafy one.

No egg and no salt in the mix for me. Season right before you put on the grill. I have played around with breadcrumbs and recently replaced them with chicarrones...so good if you need that extra texture.

Comment

I am well aware of the theory that you should handle the meat as little as possible in making burgers. Then I remember the way my grandmother made burgers, the best burgers I have ever had. She owned a cafe and made a lot of them over the years. I could stand beside her, take ground beef out of the same package, fresh from the butcher, pat it out like her, slapping the patty from hand to hand, then put it into the same frying pan, where they were fried in butter. Thin, and delicious, on buns fresh from the bakery. At least her's were delicious, mine were OK. There had to have been something in her skin that I didn't have.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe she handled em a little more when you weren’t lookin.

• Bogy
              Bogy commented
              Editing a comment
              I watched her very carefully! Many times! She was diabetic, maybe she added a little extra sugar with the extra love.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here