Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burgers indirect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burgers indirect

Hey everyone.

Im cooking burgers for a group for the 4th. I’ve just learned about cooking burgers indirect. It seems so obvious in hindsight, but I’ve never thought to do it. So I have a few questions for you all:

do you prefer low and slow or hot and fast?

how long does the cook take for each method? (Ballpark, of course)

do you use wood? What type?

i usually never do a cook for friends that u haven’t done a trial run myself, but there’s a first time for everything.

thanks!

I prefer juicy Lucy burgers

Comment

I do it all the time. I don’t do it low. I load up the SnS, about 3/4 chimney. Just did some, couldn’t tell about time, maybe 30 min. I was rotating 8 burgers (3 1/3 lbs) at 45 sec a side in the sear x 3. I was also doing some asparagus in the rotation. Brought burgers in at 150, started searing at 128 - 130.
    Always use a lil chunk of wood.
    Last edited by FireMan; June 29, 2018, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I do both, but think they are juicier done slow with a good sear at the end.

Comment

Most often, I do em low/slow, then a bodacious sear fer th finish...
        I use hickory or mesquite charcoal briquettes, adds jus th right smoked flavour...

Sometimes, on smaller cookers, I'll add a chunk of wood, as well
        (They cook quicker, bein less air volume, so it helps me git my smoke level jus right )

Comment

Burgers being really thin, I don't bother with reverse sear. I grill those suckers and eat 'em.

Even thick burgers are really thin, reverse sear wise.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, we know, everyday. 👍 😎

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            8-)

It depends on the size of burgers you plan to cook. If your talking some big thick burgers then low and slow @220-225 with a little chunk of Hickey or fruit wood works great. Take them to 115-120, then get the charcoal as hot as possible and give them a good sear. Keep rotating them in and out of the hot zone. Keep an eye on their temp so not to over cook. Take them off when they reach 150 IT.

Comment

I’ve been away for a bit so couldn’t reply until now, but thanks everyone for the replies! I’ll let you know how they turn out tomorrow.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Lookin forward to seein yer burgers, have a great cook!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here