Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smash burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smash burgers

never even heard of them before this site went down and bought s grittel know they are a quick cook to nights Montreal and powder ranch dressing mix mixed to geather set in refrigerator for a hour then grilled to 165 internal provolone cheese

Prolly dusnt suck atall!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Prolly not to all three questions!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Whats wrong with Mr. Bones ? CaptainMike welcome to the dark side. J. Wellington Wimpy burgers FTW!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what all that smoke will do. He's gone mad!

Sounds tasty, let us know how they come out, please...

Comment

• Fire Art
      Fire Art commented
      Editing a comment
      Delicious and Juicy

Sounds pretty tasty. Smashburgers on the menu for next week, I'm thinking.

Kathryn

Comment

Love smash burger. Get such a good crust.

Comment

Cook them as diner burgers in the 1/4 lb range. If you want 8 oz make a double burger. You get twice the crust. Yummy.

Create the skinny, crispy edged burgers that you love at diners with this simple recipe for the Wimpy burger. Infinitely better than any mass produced quarter pounder, these homemade diner-style burgers are small disks, 4 ounces or less, pressed flat and cooked on a griddle to maximize the flavor and crispness.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I likeys th way yer thinkin, here, brother!
          Great approach!

• OSB
          OSB commented
          Editing a comment
          I love burgers and will eat them anyway...But man you just cant beat a Double Wimpy Bacon Cheese with the Glop....

No pics?

Comment

• Fire Art
          Fire Art commented
          Editing a comment
          To busy eating

Glad I am not the only person on the planet that thinks a J Wellington Wimpy burger is better than a steakhouse burger! Ill put mine up agains any of your steakburgers any day...as long as Mrs.Calhoun isn't a judge...she is NOT impartial!

Comment

Why not just go to .....

Troutman is out

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Because the smashburger chain isn’t that great. Shake shack burgers have better crust.
            Or just make them yourself.

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            Nearest one for me is around 380 miles from me...

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Steak and Shake for hipsters.

They aren’t hard to make yourself.

i make them outside because it smokes and can be messy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F798188D-A817-4280-9FFE-0E90818DA908.png
Views:	227
Size:	644.2 KB
ID:	512671

Comment

Ok, I have 6 pounds of 80/20 chuck to cook tomorrow, and thinking smash burgers on the Drip ‘N Griddle following the wimpy burger recipe will be the way to go. Guessing the upside down grill grates won’t work due to the holes.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I have done 'em on the Grillgrates, but I pre-smashed them about half way hoping they wouldn't extrude through the holes, and they didn't.

• OSB
              OSB commented
              Editing a comment
              I've never had a problem doing wimpy burgers on grill grates. Go for it.

I just so happen to be doing smash burgers for dinner Sunday, an umami version with fish sauce and some seasonings.

Comment

Since reading about smash burgers here I've been doing them on my flattop as an alternative to my "steakhouse burger" and they are a big hit. So easy and am using is a plastering trowel to smash with.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice! You can scrape the grill with it too.

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                HouseHomey I read on this site about improvising for kitchen tools and it may have been you who suggested them on a post. I also bought a quality paint scraper for the scraping and both work wonderful.

These were good, but not as crusty as I expected. Maybe the Drip ‘N Griddle didn’t get hot enough, but I think mostly after the first few cooked, I had way too much grease on the griddle, leading to less and less crusty burgers as I cooked. Any ideas on the subject?

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                I use an IR thermometer to make sure I’m over 600F. Clean/dry the griddle betweem batches (paper towels etc be careful you don’t ignite them you should also clean and dry so any overflow grease doesn’t ignite).

Make sure you have something very sharp to scrape them up with so you don’t lose any crusty bits.

• Fire Art
                Fire Art commented
                Editing a comment
                I think flipping in the same spot on the griddle and grease is my is my culprit

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok, I’ll Break out the IR next time, and bring a roll of paper towels to wipe the griddle between batches. I was doing 4 to 6 at a time.

Ok, I want to say something about these "smash burgers". I cooked up 24 1/4 lb. patties on the DNG on my kettle on Father's Day, and was still eating left over burgers last night. Burgers cooked this way, versus traditional grilled "steak house" burgers, are SOOOOO much juicier as left overs. The typical 1/3 to 1/2 lb. burgers I grill to 160-165 are usually SO DRY when reheated as left overs in the microwave a day or two later. These are awesomely juicy, despite being smashed thin on the griddle. I used the same 80/20 chuck I always do, but both the wife and I noticed how much juicier and moist these are as leftovers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here