Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patty melt with a twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patty melt with a twist

I got a hankering for a patty melt yesterday and realized that I had everything on hand for this except I had sourdough bread instead of rye. I added the poblano for that extra kick.

Here is my recipe/procedure (makes 4 - 5 sandwiches):
    1lb ground beef (I had Angus on hand)
    1 pkg Farmer John sausage links
    2 medium onions, Frenched
    2 roasted, peeled poblano chilis
    sourdough or rye bread
    sliced cheese, I used Swiss

Slice the onions into thin half moons (Frenched) and start them sweating/browning over a low flame. Roast the peppers over an open flame, and place in a mixing bowl covered with saran wrap to cool and steam.

Mix the beef and sausage together and season as desired. I used dill weed, sage, Monterey Steak seasoning, thyme, and rosemary. Cook til at least medium well, but I prefer well since there is sausage in it. Set aside to stay warm.

Peel and de-seed the peppers by cutting off the tops and bottom tips and then splitting lengthwise.

By now the onions should be browned. Assemble the sandwiches by buttering a slice of bread, place that butter side down on a griddle. Add a slice of cheese, then a slice of chili, then the patty, then some grilled onions, another slice of cheese, and finally another slice of buttered bread, butter side up.

Grill till golden brown and cheese begins to melt. Good luck flipping this sucker!

PS - Nothing would prevent you from doing the whole thing over a grill outside if you have a cast iron griddle or skillet!

Click image for larger version  Name:	patty_melt_2018-05-07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	130.3 KB ID:	496454
    Last edited by boftx; May 7, 2018, 09:29 PM.

Man o man I one of those.

Comment

Loves me some patty melts!!!!
      Tuna Melts is awesome, too!!!

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        A slice of poblano would go good on that, too!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        If memory serves me Mr. Bones I think there is someone around here that used to cook some mean ones for sale....

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        texastweeter
        Yup, yer right, amigo! Also right bout it bein 2015 when they went out of business...I checked my pics from th last time I was down there...

Well Done!

Comment

Looks and sounds great!

Comment

I bet it was better than Applebee's

Comment

I LOVE the idea of the poblano pepper. They are one of my favorite sweet chilis. I think I am gonna start adding them to any burgers or sammiches that have guac on it! That looks good enough to eat a few...

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              I try to keep both poblano and Anaheim chilis (for my wife) on hand for chili rellenos and things like this.

Ummmmmm. Patty melts.....

Comment

Love patty melts. That looks like a good cook for a blackstone, except I don’t have one yet. I do have a griddle though. Thanks.

Comment

• boftx
                boftx commented
                Editing a comment
                I would roast the chilis first over the coals and put in a saran covered bowl to steam/cool. Then brown the onions on the griddle and move that aside to expose the coals for grilling the patties. Move the patties to a holding plate, prep the chilis, move the griddle back, and go from there for the final assembly and cook.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Like it, boftx

Brilliant.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here