Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kick Up Yer Sloppy Joes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick Up Yer Sloppy Joes

We made a Bolognese sauce yesterday, loosely based on on a recipe from Barbara Lynch's "Stir". Her big "secret" for amping up the flavor was to use finely minced chicken livers, totaling about 1/6 of the total weight of the other ground meats (burger, lamb, pork, veal, whatever). So, that'd be 1/2# liver to three pounds ground meat. I gotta tell ya, the dish was spectacular! I am the last person in the world to consider eating liver (other than foie gras), but this was just a deep, rich sauce with no hint of liver taste. I'd bet a pound of burger with your usual Sloppy Joe fixin's and a couple/three ounces of minced chicken liver would be worthwhile. Who knows, maybe even chili?

We served the sauce over spaghetti squash "noodles". If you haven't tried spaghetti squash yet, do try it soon.
    Last edited by Willy; February 2, 2018, 12:26 PM.

Chicken livers in the Bolognese are killer. Here's my favorite lasagne, that plays on that idea. https://www.evernote.com/l/AKLoGn1Xy...GmFzDPMHWjl4WY

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy The two spellings are for two similar but different dishes: lasagna for the southern style that we all grew up with (tomato, mozzarella, ricotta), and lasagne for the northern, with a lot less tomato, bechamel and usually some kind of Bolognese sauce. Or so I understand it.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I also read something about "a" being singular and "e" being plural as regards--I think--the number of noodles, as in "lasagne requires several lasagna noodles (er, sheets)". I'll dig around some more.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'm always interested to learn more. My wife says that the Time-Life Italian Cookbook that came from was put together by kidnapping a bunch of Italian Grandma's and observing them while they cooked. I will say, it's one of my favorites, right up there with Marcella Hazen. The meatballs are to die for!

Gotcha covered on the edit, Willy. Whodathunk chicken livers. That's part of what I throw away (or give to the animals) from the insides of a chicken I'm about to spatchcock.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the fix, Huskee!

Chicken / turkey livers end up on my breakfast plate with eggs and bacon if I have some..yum

Comment

I use chicken livers as "step one" when I get a hankering for a batch of fried catfish. Actually, in small amounts they do lend a great flavor that most folks never recognize, sorta like anchovies. My wife will even eat them in Cajun Dirty Rice and she HATES the smell of liver. I can only cook it when she is gone.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Step one for fried catfish??? I'm not picturing anything here unless you're frying the livers whole as a side or appetizer for the dinner?

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry... chicken liver = catfish bait.

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL! I shudda gotten that one. Then again, we always used worms...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here