Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The illusive Char flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The illusive Char flavor

I have tried many ways to get a good Char on my burgers. SNS, natural lump, closer to the fire.
    This
    I think has finally done it for me. No grill marks just a great Char look and taste.
    Sous-vide the burgers first. I used 8 oz size this time. 130 degrees.
    I finished them off with the weed burner.
    Made a little Chipotle catsup with mayo dressing it was delish first time I got a good Char flavor here on the grill.
    I wanted to include a video of the weed burner Charing but it was too big to post it did take longer than I thought it would.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180113_170749.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	441926Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180113_172635.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	441927Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180113_192414.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	441929Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180113_200809.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	441928

Nice char. Had the meat came from a CHARolais that would have been even sweeter.

Comment

• Barry Friesen
      Barry Friesen commented
      Editing a comment
      My daughter would classify that as a 'dad' joke and groan loudly.

I don't get it.

Comment

FYI- It's not pronounced Char, it is more Shar-row-lay, or Shar-lay

But still a pretty pathetic pun in writing.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes... it is!!!

Beautiful!

Comment

Fantastic!! I am surprised you weren’t satisfied with the SnS char. I’ve also had great success cooking burgers on the back side of my GrillGrates.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Tony Kopacz
        Tony Kopacz commented
        Editing a comment
        Those burgers look great! Beautiful sear but not a char.

I just flip the Grill Grates over to the "griddle" side.

Comment

• Jmccloskey659
        Jmccloskey659 commented
        Editing a comment
        Have to agree with Eugene; flip side of the GrillGrates works surprisingly well.

Thanks for the likes! Char and sear are two different tastes.
      Steak houses don't sear they char. Infrared or direct flame.
      I'm still searching for the technique.

Comment

Those look great. Me, I'm still a hot cast iron burger guy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here