Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time grinding my own burger meat- mix of beef ribs and bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time grinding my own burger meat- mix of beef ribs and bacon?

Bought some nice looking boneless beef ribs from Costco to try my hand at grinding my own hamburger meat. Adding some bacon into the grind sounds delicious, but not sure of the amount to mix in.

Looking for some guidance.

I have made this exact combination. I used a couple of strips of thick-cut bacon for each pound of meat. Results were good, but I wouldn't use more, myself.

Comment

Thanks. That helps a lot. I love bacon so I have a tendency to go more rather than less, sometimes with not great results. I'll start with this.

Comment

Good advice from Baltassar. There is such a thing as too much bacon ;-)

Comment

I love course grinding boneless short ribs. My personal favorite for burgers.

Comment

So far I have only used chuck from Costco with very good results. Never thought about the boneless beef ribs with bacon, I will have to give that a try thanks for the tip.

Comment

After grinding in the food processor (did a great job) and a bit of steak salt, 8+ ouncers ready for tonight's grill...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7552.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	418170

Comment

• vandy
                vandy commented
                Editing a comment
                Great looking burgers there! You need to post some after pics.

Perfect burgers right there! WTG!

Comment

Hmmm, never thought of using beef ribs, they look great. How were they?

Comment

• CowboyScott
                  CowboyScott commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Will let you know after we eat tonight (only 4:30pm now)!

Looking good so far.

Comment

I cooked them on the Rec Tec 680 pellet grill for ~50 minutes at 235° and then at 375° for ~10 minutes to finish off to ~140 before pulling off. They turned out very juicy and great smoky flavor. Decided not to sear on the Grill grates on my gasser this time as they looked great coming off the Rec Tec.

The patties did not hardly shrink at all, which was unexpected and resulted in the patties overwhelming the bun. The color was a bit red on the outside, which was a (good) surprise. Served with swiss cheese and sautéed onions and mushrooms (a staple when I make burgers), on brioche buns (not homemade... yet).

Forgot to take a picture until we already started eating, so the pic does not do it justice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4225.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	418357

Only thing I would slightly change is use a bit of seasoning right before grilling as I only sprinkled on a small amount of steak salt ~5 hours prior to the grill. A little seasoned salt and pepper right before grilling might have been perfect. Also, may not make the patties as large- each each was >8 oz; maybe stay closer to 7 oz.

Looking forward to do this again (so is the family).

Comment

• vandy
                    vandy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is a great looking burger, I bet that bite was delicious. I have settled on 6 oz burgers and they fit the buns perfect. They have very little shrinkage so what ever size you make them raw is pretty much what you get off the grill.

Looks great!! I’ve only used Chuck, that rib meat might be in my future though!! Wait, you mean 8oz burgers are too big...😱.

Comment

• CowboyScott
                    CowboyScott commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Unfortunately yes for my 13 year old daughter and petite wife; not for me or my 16 year old son!

Beautiful! I love doing burgers on the RecTec.

Comment

• CowboyScott
                    CowboyScott commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Me too so far. I was under the impression that I needed to seer on some other grill, but have proven that wrong, at least for hamburgers. Not sure for steaks though.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here