Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forward Sear Burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forward Sear Burgers

A question for those who forward sear their burgers on a charcoal kettle; any advice on how long to sear an 8 ounce burger over direct heat prior to finishing on the indirect side? I just can't seem to "hit the mark". Thanks.

I sear the ever-living crud out of them things and get them as dark as I want, then I wrap them in foil and let them cook until done. I'm not worried about any indirect cooking and trying to pick up some subtle charcoal-like smoke flavor, I've got the crust I want and I'm good to go.

Comment

• Jmccloskey659
      Jmccloskey659 commented
      Editing a comment
      Guess that says if all...thanks Jerod!!

Jerod Broussard Kinda exactly what you said. Foil, throw a bowl over it, just off the heat and rotate etc... all are good. Just use your thermapen and your golden. No set it and forget it. Far too many variables for that. You gotta cook it.

Comment

I don't know but I just reversed seared some burgers this evening on my kettle with the SNS and had a really good crunchy crust with a very tender and juicy interior, great burger from some ground chuck roast that I bought from Costco and ground myself.

Comment

You could give smash burgers a try. They are very tasty.

Comment

That's how I do it, sans the foil though, just indirect for after the sear. I've never timed it but I'd guess 5 or 6 min total searing.

Comment

Huskee yup. Let the fire do I thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8083.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	408529

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Burger. Fire. I want one!

I would say it depends on what "mark" you are trying to hit. I do 8 oz. burgers all the time on my BGE. Get it to 375-400 degrees or more and do 2 1/2 - 3 minutes per side and done!!! Sear & serve! 👍 That said, I am grilling home ground venison burgers (10-15% beef fat) and am aiming for a great medium rare burger. I’m the butcher and have control over the sanitation of my product and have yet to have any problems with medium rare burgers (over the past 45 years).

Comment

delete
              Last edited by HorseDoctor; November 10, 2017, 07:26 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Comment

There are many variables to consider (fire temp, thickness of patty, type of meat etc), but in general I sear for 3-4 minutes per side and then indirect until I hit my preferred temp (130).

Comment

2 minutes per side for an 8 oz'er. Like clockwork for me cus I'm a Virgo.

Bun's on the grill, cheese on the patties at minute 4 indirect. I usually let it ride for 5 minutes more to toast the buns and melt the cheese.

Comment

Dang you guys are making me hungry for a good burger. And it is still early in the morning. Now I have to think about this all day.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here