Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Reverse Sear Burger Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PJBowmaster
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you Steve!

• PJBowmaster
    commented on 's reply
    I have not experimented with sous vide. But a burger stuffed with Gouda and Gruyere? I'll bet that was tasty!!

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Like househomey's meatballs!

• RonB
    replied
    Thanx for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Thanks for sharing! They look marvelous!!

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    Nice post PJ. Well detailed and informative. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Nice, that's pretty much how I do 'em. Except for last night we did our first sous vide burgers stuffed with smoked gouda and gruyere. Very tasty indeed.

Leave a comment:

• tbob4
    replied
    I guess I know what I am having for dinner tonight. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    Mmm mmm! Love that burger! Thanks for sharing, I cook mine to 160 too. Don't want it too raw in the middle.

Leave a comment:

• PJBowmaster
    started a topic My Reverse Sear Burger Technique

My Reverse Sear Burger Technique

Cooking burgers using the reverse sear method is not new around here. A lot of folks do some variation of the technique and produce GREAT Burgers! Lately, I've been posting photos of my Burger cooks in the "Show us what you are cooking" thread. And I've been getting a lot of nice feedback. So I wanted to share my method with my friends in The Pit. It's not the only way to do it. But I think it's a good way to do it. And it's very easy!! So if you are struggling to make a great burger, I invite you to give it a try.

The method works with virtually any type of grill that can be set up in a two zone configuration. I cook burgers on my Weber Gas grills all the time. But I REALLY like this technique on my Weber Kettle w/SNS. I start with Certified Angus ground Chuck. I don't mess around with grinding my own. My Butcher does a fine job. I just hand form 8 oz patties. I don't press them out too much because I want them to be about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. And I want those air pockets that Meathead talks about. With a little practice I can now form patties that will perfectly fit a standard Kaiser Bun. I apply salt and usually lemon pepper. Use what you like. Then stick them back in the fridge.

On a Weber Kettle w/Slow N Sear. I use the "Hot and Fast", 325 degree set up recommended by Adrenalin Barbecue for a shorter, hotter cook. It's the same set-up recommended for cooking chicken. Light half of a chimney of charcoal. (I use Kingsford Original) Let them burn for about 10 minutes or until "well lit". Add only these coals to the Slow N Sear charcoal basket spread evenly. Do not use any unlit coals. Open the top and bottom vents fully open. Let the grill warm up, clean the grate, and add some foil to the bottom grate to catch drippings. If you want a little smoke add a chunk. I like a little Hickory smoke on my burgers. I do not use a probe at grate level to monitor this cook.

Place the patties on the indirect side of the grill. Adjust the vents so that the bottom vent is about 1/4 and the top vent is about 1/3. Let it go for about 15 minutes then turn the patties. If you want bacon burgers place some bacon strips on the indirect side at this time. Let it go for another 15 minutes. After 15 minutes flip the bacon and check the internal temperature of the patties with a good digital thermometer. I'm shooting for 150 degrees f. It's probably going to take another 15 minutes to get there. Remove the bacon if it's done to your liking. Once you hit 150 degrees f move the burgers directly over the coals in the SNS. I turn them every minute until I have a nice crispy sear and my internal temp is at 160 degrees f. I then move them to the indirect side, add cheese, and close the lid. Once the cheese is melted to my liking it's time to toast the buns. I do this over direct heat. It only takes about 20 seconds or so.

A word about toppings. I like hand grated cheese because it has great texture. And BACON!!! Beyond that use the freshest ingredients you can find. Whatever it is that YOU like. Get creative or keep it simple. But start with good meat cooked properly. I'm NOT going for Medium Rare with this method. My burgers are cooked to 160 degrees f. But they are moist, have a nice beefy flavor, and are SAFE for human consumption. Everyone loves them. Enjoy!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	162.JPG
Views:	1608
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	379046Click image for larger version

Name:	238.JPG
Views:	1495
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	379047Click image for larger version

Name:	239.JPG
Views:	1485
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	379048Click image for larger version

Name:	242.JPG
Views:	1537
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	379049

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here