Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to Salt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to Salt?

Help....I have read dozens of different recommendations on the internet as to how and when to season burgers and steaks prior to and while grilling, so I thought it prudent to turn to the experts! Some say only salt burgers and steaks immediately prior to searing, and some say salt steaks 1-2 hours prior to placing on the grill. I'm hoping for some guidance on this issue as well as the best salt to use (sea, kosher, seasoned salt such as Lowry's). Thanks in advance

Kosher gets the job done. The fancier salts are nice for "finishing" at the table. Note that Morton's and Diamond kosher salts have different densities. I'm pretty sure there's a discussion of how to adapt on the site or in Meathead's book. For small cuts you mentioned and hour or two is very adequate. It's the more bulky stuff and poultry that can use a longer "dry brine".

Comment

Check the video section here for an early one by Dr. Blonder on salt. As I understand it, it depends on the thickness of the cut as to how long ahead of time is best for dry brining. Ground meats are different, as salting early makes for a "tight" texture.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ood-runs-53-01
      Last edited by TheCountofQ; August 25, 2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        This link will have everything you need for this question. If not, please let us know. Jmccloskey659

Thanks for posting Count!

I knew I came to the right place; thanks all!!!

Comment

Just buckle up. This salt discussion in the pit and the other side is fantastic. Let the learning begin.never forget to taste and note until you find your sweet spot.

Comment

depends on the style burger your cooking. Thick jucy steakhouse burgers, I mix the salt inand let them sit in fridge (not long, maybe 20 while grill is heating up). Thin diner style burgers, I actually salt on the griddle and only one side. I have found that unless you are making really thick patties, salting on the grill or immediately before makes the bestburger. on the thicker oneseven, never more than as long as it takes the grates to heat up, otherwise it is denser and rubberier (is that a word?)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            It is now lol!
            Better than where I come from; it'd prob'ly become 'Morther Rubberier', afore alla th' jawin' was concluded....

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            translation: chewy as an old boot sole.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a French word and is pronounced Roob-err-ree-ay. What say you Mr. Bones ?

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here