Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Meatballs and sausages baked in Weber kettle with S&S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Meatballs and sausages baked in Weber kettle with S&S?

We're both working long hours next week, and Mrs Mosca wants me to make a big batch of gravy with proteins so that neither of us have to cook at 8PM.

If I do these on the kettle with S&S, set up indirect to bake at 350* or so, how smoky do you think they will be? My guess is not very smoky at all, as long as I don't toss in any wood chips or chunks. I don't mind them tasting like they were done outdoors, but I don't want smoked spaghetti sauce.

If you use ABC's poultry method (325+), using only well-lit coals, the smoke taste will be minimum. But of course a wet dish like gravy will soak up what is there. If you need more than say 90 minutes of time, instead of adding any unlit, I'd suggest adding more well-lit coals when the time comes.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to do the gravy on the stove, and the meats outside to avoid using the oven on a hot day. Baking meatballs at 350* rarely takes more than 15-20 minutes. I'm thinking putting the vent over the coals will reduce crossflow and keep any smokiness away from the food.

I agree with Huskee. Set up for a hot and fast cook ABC style. Don't add wood. The meat will be terrific!

Comment

Please let us know how the cook turns out. Sounds wonderful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here