Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The better burger isn't happening...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the way Steakhouse Steakburgers look after 2 hour in the Magic hot tub and how I serve them to my friends and family. I've never had anyone put theirs in the microwave.🙈
    Attached Files

Comment

Ok so to be completely non logical, Is there a chemical or enzyme or acid or something of the sort that could turn the meat brown/ grey? Then cook it however you want. I know I know, but if it all about appearance. Since I'm already out of the box it doesn't seem that your having juicy problems since your buns are getting saturated. So if its happening after they cut into it than make sliders,one or two bites and there gone no time to get soggy. There is always the non reverse sear(shhh did he actually say that) Super hot sear short rest and into super low oven or grill till the pink just fades. Get your timer and practice. Good Luck

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        What did you say!!! Guards, SEIZE HIM at once!! Tie that scurvy dog to the yard arch!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

Since getting into sous vide cooking, I always cook my burgers in the hot tub time machine before grilling. That way I'm not worried about bugs.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        +1^ On what Ernest said for exactly the same reason, plus its easier.👍

Ya got some kind of eatin folk there, picky, picky, picky. Talk to Spinaker on how to cook some hockey pucks. Serve em to them & grin. See if they run to the microwave then.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahahahahahahahaha!!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I know a thing or two about infered grills and hockey pucks. But I'm from Minnesota, don't I get a pass on that one? I mean it's in my northern blood. FireMan LOL Ernest

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        NO ONE gets a pass in the Pit, well, mostly no one Spinaker.

Haven't read the whole thread, but I mixed an egg in with the raw burger prior to making patties a while back and it turned out really nice. Might have been accidental, but I'm going to try it again. Just seemed to be more moist and I temp checked at 160 degrees before pulling.

Comment

Ok, my method is going to be sacrilegious to some, maybe many, but here it goes.
        First of all, I don't use Chuck. I use plain ole hamburger meat, the kind that is only 73% lean, and yes, 27% fat.
        Second, I spread my charcoal all across the grates of my Weber Kettle.
        Third, I put down an aluminum foil home-made pan. You know, spread out a piece of foil, fold the edges and crimp the corners.
        I cook them until they are done...about 160 deg. done.
        They are a pretty reddish brown on the outside, completely done on the inside and not all dried out.
        Now this cooking is a combination of grill and fry all in one, since the home-made foil pan traps the juice (FAT) and adds to the cooking heat.
        This method will probably never be in vogue, but it makes a pretty darn good "well done" burger in my book.

Comment

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          HARD to add too much fat to hamburger. (In my opinion) 8/20 is the ''healthiest'' I would ever consider.

Ordered the Anova Sous Vide yesterday to continue my well done juicy hamburger project. Ok all you sous viders, What is the magic minimum temperature to get no pink? In your experience, is a no pink burger done SV any juicier than a grilled burger to same temp?

Comment

Hugh Honestly I have no idea. I SV my burgers at 131° then throw them on rip roaring coal. I think your SV to 145° internal temp then a sear should do the trick. May be 140° if you Sear them when their hot.

I first would go 145° and then immediately ice bath to shock/chill rapidly. That will preserve some juice. Then Sear from room temp,or colder ro crust and heat through. It's a learning curve when searing from cold to heat the interior without burning the exterior. Perhaps birng them to room temp for an hour before the Sear. They will already have some of the cold beef juice on them, just salt it and add pepper when they finish cooking.

pics please. I look forward to the trial.

Comment

Hugh are you going to use a vacuum sealer for the burgers? If so, get yourself some solid cake rings. I use the 6 inch by 2 inch variety. Form the patty and put it inside the ring. When the vacuum is activated, the burger keeps its shape. It has been my experience that at 140 you are going to still have a little pink but the composition of the meat changes so that it is not the "raw" pink that I find really objectionable in a burger. I like a steak a bit on the rare/medium rare side these days. I have moved down from medium. I still can't eat a burger that I would describe as medium rare. I also find that a stuffed burger in this manner passes the Meathead safety concern and really can't be beat for stuffed burgers. I'm looking forward to your experience with burgers on the Anova.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Rings! Doh! Face palm. I never thought of it.

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              HouseHomey - It really works like a charm. They were in the drawer and I just came up with it one day. Exactly same diameter and height as my old burger stuffer. Viola - sometimes even a dumb guy like me can come up with a pretty good idea.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol! We all get lucky somethimes...... bwahaha

Thanks HouseHomey, will definitely do pics.

Never thought of the cold bath to keep them juicier. Will try that.

Comment

Tbob - I don't have a vacuum, I'll wait for the wife to discover how much money we will save if we use one for left overs .

I'm still getting my head around the ring idea. So you SV them with the ring in the bag?

Re: the temperature. You think SV at 145 with a sear after would be pink free? I can eat a little pink in my burger, but the folks I feed won't eat any pink.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                The ring keeps the vacuum from distorting the shape of the patty. Not necessary if you are using the zip-loc bag routine.

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Are use individual quart bags for my hamburger patties

I've been using a take on a Julia Child recipe on Beef Tartare for decades that I learned from my mom when she made meatloaf as a kid.

Basically I take 80/20 ground beef, usually ground sirloin. I add chopped onions, chopped capers, brown mustard, salt, pepper and garlic powder and sometime just a little hot pepper relish chopped fine, mix this all together with an egg and let it sit for a couple of hours to let the flavors meld. Then let warm to room temperature and using 4" PVC pipe sections I form them into rather stout discs about 1-1/4 inches thick. Then I follow the reverse sear method which I learned here and is sheer genius.

The "wet" ingredients keep the burgers very moist unless you are hell bent on turning them into a textile material. Most important is not to handle them too much once they are on the grill, its food not an experiment. Sometimes I will use grilled onions chopped up instead of raw onions just in case you are looking for more work...

Comment

There is nothing more American than a great Burger! And there are a lot of ways to get the job done. Many of them highlighted in this thread. But I'm a keep it simple kind of guy. We buy fresh CAB 80/20 Ground Chuck. We cook our hand pressed patties indirect at anywhere from 250 f to 350 f depending on the grill. We reverse sear them to put on a nice crust and bring the internal temp to 160 f. Then we load them up with fresh toppings. Everybody loves them!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7856.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	480653

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And there it is..........NICE!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here