Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smashed Burgers - Burned Fingers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smashed Burgers - Burned Fingers

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1439.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	306897

I've tried smashed burgers inside on the stove with a stainless steel skillet a few times. Delicious, but smoky. I thought I'd try them with the same skillet, but on the gas grill outside instead. I heated the grill up to 550 degrees or so, and added the skillet. Let it pre-heat for a bit. Added the burgers, and proceeded to smash. Needed to adjust the angle of the skillet, so grabbed the handle full-on. Ouch! (And other less-friendly words).

Burgers didn't turn out great, They didn't get enough of a crust on them. Was too focused on dealing with the burned hand. Don't think I'll get much use out of the hand over the next few days

On the bright side, now I have a more pressing excuse to buy a Baking Steel! I'm so used to handling the skillet barehanded inside on the stove, that I fear I'd make the same mistake again if I used the skillet in the grill again. So clearly I "need" a handle-free Baking Steel!

I have one of these: link
    Perhaps it will help you some... (I hope)
    So sorry ya' burnt up yer fingers so...
    (sounds like mebbe not too awful bad, or ya' would be completely over any temptation to do it again)

Comment

• Bukowski's Burnt Ends
      Bukowski's Burnt Ends commented
      Editing a comment
      I can vouch for that lodge plate too, it's reversible. Real good versatile bit of kit.

• dustbuster
      dustbuster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, does that Lodge griddle fit on a 22 inch kettle? Seems like it would, but perhaps one of you can confirm.

I have a huge lodge cast iron 17 inch cast iron skillet and a 14 inch lodge cast iron baking pan that I bet would work great for smash burgers.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Have th' 17" as well...
      Heavy Metal, fo sho!!!

A griddle works well as well, either cast iron or the aluminum one from grill grates.

Comment

I have done the same thing with a recipe for pan seared, oven roasted chicken - more than once, but my reflexes are getting better and no more blisters...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, done it many times, never went back fer seconds lol!
        I wear gloves, when tendin' th' cookers. Safety glasses, too, if not my specs.
        Gettin' ash into one's eyeball(s), where it spontaneously manufactures lye, plus th' abrasive nature of th' ash?
        Cain't, with a clear conscience, recommend it.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones -on different cooks, and not the last few times I used that recipe, but the finished dish is almost worth the burns.

Whatcha really need is some cast iron, my friend. Nothing feels more at home over fire. You can make some killer smash burgers on the grill with this sucker! The thick casting on this piece means far superior heat retention that your steel cookware. This translates to superb searing for everything from Tuna steaks, rib-eyes and of course, Smash burgers!
      Last edited by Spinaker; April 18, 2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL Spinaker Yup! Sorta my take on fire, as well.
        BUT we have all had our own, personal DOHHH!!!! moments.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear ya, I burned the piss out of my fingers about month ago on my Finex lid, fresh from the oven. OUCH Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Itai, 痛い, Brother!!!
        DadGum, an' ConSarn it!!!
        Ya' mean, ya' gots Finex lids, t' go with yer cool skillets?!
        Dang, I gotta up my CI Game $eriously LOL!!!

Oh man, dustbuster , I feel your pain. That has happened to me before, but not at 550°F . Wow. You sure did a number on yourself. Hope the hand is healing and the pain has lessened.

You've got me hankering for a smashburger, though. I'll wear oven gloves.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; April 19, 2017, 06:06 AM.

Comment

dustbuster may I success on investing in a pair of grilling gloves

Comment

I was cleaning out my stickburner yesterday and built a fire in it to dry it out after rinsing. I grabbed a log in the firebox to move it, it looked unburnt....but the sides, where I grabbed it, were black and burnt which I only discovered after the fact of course. Burned my fingertips on both hands. Thankfully my left hand fingertips are calloused from plucking guitar strings so they aren't as sore today.

Comment

• dustbuster
            dustbuster commented
            Editing a comment
            Ouch! My fingertips send yours good vibes for quick healing!

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm a plucker too as you know Huskee. Man, my worst rear is burning up my hands, yet I have done it all too often!

Thanks all, I've ordered up some grilling gloves, and will add a cast iron griddle to my ever-growing wishlist. Picked up a blister or two, but otherwise the fingers feel 98% after a good night's rest, so thankful for that!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen! I did the cast iron pan hot handle grab thing about a year ago. We learn slow, but we learn!

Many, many years ago, I owned a VW bug and needed to change out the muffler. It took two full days working under the bug with rust and dirt constantly dropping into my eyes--a mechanic I have never been, but I am persistent. Finally, I finished installing the new muffler with two new shiny silver tailpipes. I took the car out for a long spin, pulled back into my driveway, walked to the back of the car, saw those two shiny tailpipes, and, bursting with can-do pride, grabbed 'em both--very firmly. YEEOOWWWW!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Ow, @Willy!
            Just Ow!!!
            Have seared my leg against a nicely preheated Harley exhaust pipe, once. Only once
            Easily th' 2nd worst burn I've ever had !!!

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry Willy, but I laughed at that one!

A note of relevance here for bread bakers. If you use a Dutch Oven with a phenolic lid knob (such as le Crueset), you can't bake above about 375°F without melting the lid knob. You can buy metal knobs, but I understand those knobs will get VERY HOT even when cooking on the stove top. Thankfully, I haven't actually made this particular mistake myself.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you say phenolic lid knob fast 3 times?

• dustbuster
            dustbuster commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not sure I could say it one time correctly...

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Tell me about it. I heated a well known pan with a phenolic handle at 400 for about a half hour. Snap.

If you are interested, some GrillGrates from https://www.grillgrate.com are worth every penny. Flip them over and they are a great platform for smash burgers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here