Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Ground Burgers--Maiden Voyage Mixed Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Ground Burgers--Maiden Voyage Mixed Results

Kitchenaid meat grinder attachment was a Christmas gift. Tonight was our first ever attempt at fresh ground burgers and the results are mixed. On butcher's recommendation used pot roast. Coarse grind. Flavor and texture were good. The patties fell apart when I moved them to the direct side for the reverse sear. I lost an entire patty through the grate. It was a bit of a mess.

Not sure if I trimmed too much fat, didn't pack the patties enough, should have used a finer grind, trimmed too much fat, or a combination of those mistakes.

Veteran meat grinders, any thoughts?

I only trim "ugly fat" when I'm making burger meat. Thats the hard brown fat that won't render when cooked. I generally use chuck roast and if I have it I'll throw in some prime rib or brisket trimmings from the freezer. I also use a medium grind rather than coarse, as my wife doesn't like it coarse.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here