Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My home ground chuck steak burgers were a flop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBCDad I KNOW the processor will work. It may not be THE best method for grinding but A way of grinding that people have success with. I hope I get it figured out in only a couple of tries. That meat isn't free. And I really look forward to finding out what all of the fuss is about. I want to be able to do this for family but I have to nail it first. After all, it's football season. Gotta give people something to be happy about when the team ain't doing so hot!

Comment

I definitely sympathize. When I first had a similar issue, Meathead suggested more aggressive trimming of anything "gristly" before grinding, which definitely helped. But the issue hasn't disappeared when I use Chuck (even "good" stuff from Niman Ranch, etc.) I can make it disappear when I get Prime Short Ribs from Costco (which they sometimes have a great price on), and grind those up instead, but that isn't exactly a perfect solution:-) Otherwise, I just work really hard at what has been said here: * Trimming gristle, * Pre-freezing, and * pre-cutting into chunks to avoid super-long strands.

Comment

Honestly the best resource to be had for grinding burgers is The Food Lab chapter five by Kenji Lopez-Alt. He's got how to care for, what to use, and how it all works. His burger recipe is basically the same as Meathead (excepting the garlic and onion powder, well worth it!). But mastering the mechanics of whichever method you choose will be much easier after you absorb/read this book.

Comment

I use chuck roast. If it looks to lean I add some beef love that I keep in my freezer. I trim the gristle as I slice the roast into long 3/4" strips. I don't freeze it. I use the kitchen Aid mixer meat grinder attachment, large blade, to grind it. I season it before I make the patties.

I usually sous vide the patties first and then sear them on the flat side of my GrillGrates or in a CI skillet.

They always turn out nicely...👍

Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            I've never had that problem with my meat grinder attachment. Zero defects. I've had it for a few years.

• LangInGibsonia
            LangInGibsonia commented
            Editing a comment
            No problem here either. I've put hundreds of pounds of meat through mine. One thing I do is chill the housing, auger, blade and plate, for 60 minutes in the freezer. Not sure does any good but I read it somewhere and figured it was an easy enough step since I'm chilling the meat anyway.

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            I keep mine in the freezer. No problems with mine.

Breadhead pardon my ignorance but is beef love something real or are you just affectionate, lol? Damn, that burger looks good! (Please pardon my 4 letter word but in this case the emphasis I think is justified).

Comment

Beef love is rendered beef fat leftover from previous cooks. Meathead talks about it in his Steakhouse Burger article, here.

Comment

• Ribber
              Ribber commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. I did not remember reading that.

Originally posted by Ribber View Post
            Breadhead pardon my ignorance but is beef love something real or are you just affectionate, lol? Damn, that burger looks good! (Please pardon my 4 letter word but in this case the emphasis I think is justified).
            Make your own "Beef Love"

Chef Rick Gresh keeps a cup next to his grill with what he calls "beef love", melted beef fat trimmed from his aged steaks. Gresh paints the steaks with it before they go into the dining room. I have taken his method one step farther. I paint the meat with beef love before it goes on the direct heat as well as before I serve. It enhances browning and brings great flavor to the party.

To make your own beef love, just ask your butcher for a pound of suet, the term they use for beef fat. Butchers trim pounds of it every day and throw it away. It won't cost you anything. Take it home, chop it into cubes about 1/2" and put them in a pot over medium heat to medium low. Put on the lid. After a few minutes you should see tallow (liquid suet) in the pot. If not, raise the heat slightly. After about 30 minutes most of the fat will have melted. There will be some fibrous matter that doesn't melt, just throw it away. Pour the tallow into a heavy bottle, let it cool and solidify, and store it in the freezer. It will keep for months.

When it is time to cook your steaks, scoop off an ounce or two and melt it in a small pan. You can even melt it on the grill.

As an alternative, I have had great luck using rendered bacon fat, duck fat, and goose fat as beef love.

Comment

Breadhead You are extremely helpful. I always look forward to your posts. Thank you.

Comment

I'm not so sure it's free anymore Breadhead . I asked one of the butchers at the local Whole Foods, (most groceries around here don't have butchers anymore - just someone to package the pre-cut meat shipped in), and he told me they were required to charge the same price as whatever cut the fat came from.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's why they're known as Whole Paycheck around here ...

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MBMorgan ... Nailed it about Whole Foods. I believe them to be the worst value of ALL grocery stores!!! The pricing on their Prime grade beef is sinful.😡 Find a real butcher shop. Become a regular customer and they will GIVE you all the suet you want.

Yes that's the one. I tried it once and they came out really good. Then my processor broke when I used it to make ab flour tortillas (few years back. Ab got me back then to get off my butt and start cooking again which lead me to here). 5 years later, MCS kicked in again so Monday after I got off work I went and bought another processor. Now I'm set

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here