Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground beef from brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground beef from brisket

Hey guys, so I made some ground beef from choice brisket trimmings and tried a 80/20 blend as best I could. I ground the trimmings once using the corse plate (12mm?) and mixed them up a bit by hand to evenly incorporate the fat into the meat. I cooked some up and it was good but there were some chewy chunks that had to be spat out. Is this fat or…? Do I have to send that fat through the grinder more then once? It’s my first time making my own ground meat so I’m a bit lost.

I have heard of twice ground beef & lamb for kibee (Arabic), a ground mixture in making Pattie’s or Kafka. Brisket? Dunno. Did ya try it & find out? Interesting dilemma.

Comment

I've ground some brisket flat on a couple of occasions and didn't need to run it through twice.

Comment

Of the top of my head…. Sinew-y parts? You know, that "silver skin" part? At my old job, we removed the silver skin from trim to make our ground beef.

Comment

I ground the trimmings once using the corse plate (12mm?)
          You were likely 6mm or 10mm. I'm a 3mm on the ground stuff. I hate a course grind.

Forgot, I have 4.5mm too.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; April 2, 2022, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Same. Only use course for fat that will be rendered in crock pot, or for ground beef chili.

I use a 4.5mm grinding plate and have never had any issues. Brisket, chuck, tri-tip…it all comes out great.

I’ve got a 10mm plate, but have never used it…those big holes scare me! 🤣

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            If you want to "chop" cooked brisket in a hurry a 12mm works great. I use it for the fatty stuff and chop the lean by hand.

I just made ground brisket/venison last week. I ground the meat coarse (3/8" plate), hand mixed, then ran it through again with the 1/8" plate. I added extra brisket fat trimmings that I'd saved since the venison is so lean.

Comment

So a smaller grind? Gotcha! And yes, it was like sinewy chunks (that sounds grosser than it actually is). Thanks again for your suggestions!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Trust me, even a coarsely ground sausage doesn't jive with me.

Definitely remove that sinewy stuff by hand before grinding. It just clogs in the grinder or worse yet gets through. The collagen will cook but elastin (silver skin) won’t dissolve when cooking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here