Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground Beef Safety Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Beef Safety Question

I defrosted a pound of ground beef for a planned dinner yesterday. It didn't happen and the meat got shoved to the back of the fridge for use tonight. I just took the meat out of the fridge and found it frozen solid. Yes, I know it means I probably have the refrigerator set too cold. But my question is whether the meat will be safe to use after it is defrosted again.

I am sure you are going to get tons of opinions here. I would say that if you want to use frozen use it. If you want to thaw, use it. Meat is frozen, thawed and refrozen all the time. Just my opinion.

Comment

The same thing happens to me from time to time. Never a problem. Go ahead and thaw as usual and cook it up.

Comment

Based on what you wrote - yes. I’ve done the same. I freeze ground beef. Thaw. Use what I need and freeze again. It only thaws for one day before freezing and I don’t do it a third time. The issue I have with refreezing is freezer burn and consistency. I really don’t like the consistency of twice frozen ground beef for anything but chili/enchiladas etc.

Comment

As long as you defrosted it in the fridge it should be ok to re-freeze or use. If you defrosted it on the counter or (the horror!) the microwave, I wouldn't risk it.

Comment

I’ve done it all the time. Only thing that suffers could be the quality of meat. But if you thaw it properly, which it sounds like you did you should be fine.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...thaw-it-safely
            Last edited by radiodome21; March 29, 2022, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              ^This.

I would go for it.

Comment

+1 tbob4 If it were a fine steak or something, I wouldn’t because here you are talking about the structural integrity of the cut. But with ground beef, you’ll be fine. At my old job, I never encouraged it because who knows what the heck people do in their homes. Not only do you know, you are surrounded by people who know, ya know? 😜

Comment

Cook it and eat it

Comment

What they all said. No problemo. Let us know how it came out!

Comment

Thanks everyone. That's basically what I thought. But, I wanted to play it safe and ask. I could deal with giving myself food poisoning, but would REALLY prefer not to get my wife ill.

Comment

An update: Both my wife and I survived the burgers without ill effects. Once again, thank you everyone for your advice.

Comment

The thinking that you can't thaw, refreeze, and thaw raw meat safely is an old wives tale. As SheilaAnn noted it may have a negative impact on the texture (not so much for ground beef) but it has no safety implications.

Comment

if thawed correctly it would not have entered the danger zone
                          The world according to noob

Comment

Jess Pryles recently made a video on this very subject: https://youtu.be/atx3r0FQi70

Comment

• smokenoob
                              smokenoob commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Well that was sure a nice change from looking at ya’alls mugs!
                              Except of course SheilaAnn 😁

• Lock Stock and Barrel
                              Lock Stock and Barrel commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You should read what some people had to eat after the civil war and lived to tell about it. Hence, the invention of Tobasco sauce! I experiment with these things and always just cook thoroughly and have never had a problem in 40 years.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here