Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse-seared Steakhouse Burgers on the Weber Smokey Joe grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diddem again tonight, this time with a slight dusting of BBBR after the Morton's Nature's seasons. The only other thing I did different was added a nice thick leaf of fresh lettuce after the garden tomato. Man oh man, if you could snap a picture of taste. Tonight's burger was the best I have ever eaten. I know that sounds cliche, but it's true. Juicier than all get out, pecan smoke, sharp cheddar, burger glop, fresh tomato and toasted buns. No pics this time to avoid redundancy!

Comment

Ok here's a pic of my burger setup,
      the Weber Smokey Joe 14.5" with homemade foil smokenator. It's hard to see here since it fell down, but it's just a crudely fashioned foil baffle that's supposed to fold over in the general shape of the smokenator. it works great. 12 K-ford briqs, 6 lit atop 6 unlit, and one pecan chink that gets reused.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1601.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	15308

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        LOOKS GREAT!!!

We are going to try tonight. My wife is not quite as adventuresome on this as am I, so it'll be 1 reverse and one regular on the the weber kettle. This I can't wait for. Side by side taste test!! Wheweee!

About how long does your burger take before you start the direct heat?

Thanks, man!!

@richinlbrg- I usually do 5 burgers, since there are 5 of us, and I usually leave them on about an hour roughly, sometimes 45min, sometimes over an hour. My grill temp varies between 220-280 depending on ambient weather/sun, with the 12 coals. Obviously you'll need to adjust if your "small/average" Weber is bigger than this. Textbook burger temp should be 160, but this is well done and I prefer burgers to be medium to medium-well at the most. I try to pull my burgers at or near 150-155 max. I sear them around 145 or 150.

Burgers tend to stall, it takes a while to go from 140-150. At least this is my experience. This gives plenty of time for the wood smoke to do its thing for the flavor. I highly recommend oak or pecan for burgers, hickory will suffice. It's all good though.

If you do this right, it will be one of the best burgers you can ever eat, especially if garnished with your favorite fresh toppers & the glop. Make sure to grill or toast the buns, this is a HUGELY important step in flavor wow factor even though it might not seem to be. I butter mine and do 'em in the broiler, but you have to watch like a hawk they go from golden to burned in one minute. Even dark brown, overtoasted, they're still excellent in the mix.
      Last edited by Huskee; September 6, 2014, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        So sorry to trouble you, but....burger glop - prepared or dry mustard?

Rich

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        No trouble at all. Prepared/bottled

PERFECT! Thank you so much! I'll let you know how it goes! Hoping I can do a butt and couple racks on the morrow - should be better weather, cooler.

Comment

Again, Aaron, thank you so much!!

Comment

OK, when I read the recipe, I knew the hot sauce would be problematic (not a fan of spicy hot), after I blended the ingredients, I KNEW the hot sauce was problematic. Then the rain came before I could grill. Cooked inside, toasted the but in the broiler and put some glop on. GREAT!! Really adds a nice layer of flavor!! Thank you!!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm confused- the hot sauce in this recipe was too hot for you, but you still think it's great? I didn't think it made it hot at all. I omitted the hot sauce when I first made it since I didn't have any and it was still spectacular.

Sorry, I was not clear. I KNEW it would be too hot, right up until I put it on the burger and bit in. It added a WONDERFUL layer of flavor, and NOT hot!

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
            Sorry, I was not clear. I KNEW it would be too hot, right up until I put it on the burger and bit in. It added a WONDERFUL layer of flavor, and NOT hot!
            Gotcha! Yep, I though the same. Even one of my young sons, who seems to be sensitive to spice, loves it. When I read your post I thought 'huh, spicy, really?'. But you're right, the hot sauce just adds a little tang no real spice. It even impressed my MiL when she was over for burgers. I got the "This is the best burger I've ever had, and that sauce is wonderful!" Credit to Meathead there...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here