Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse-seared Steakhouse Burgers on the Weber Smokey Joe grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse-seared Steakhouse Burgers on the Weber Smokey Joe grill

A day late and a dollar short, but here's my "weekend" cook-

Thick ground chuck reverse seared steakhouse burgers. Done indirectly with about 14 K-ford briquettes (8 lit, 6 unlit) and one small pecan chunk on my 14" Weber Smoky Joe. Took just under an hour. Cooker temp ~280. My burger (pictured) 153*, the wife & kids' 156-160.

Meat seasoned with a hefty shake of Morton's Nature's Seasons, my go-to burger seasoning, on both sides. Buns toasted. Garnished with farm fresh thick tomato slice, generous bottoming dollop of Meathead's [Burger] Glop (fantastic) and top it off with a thick slice of sharp cheddar. Fries on the side (with more MBG for dipping) and salad somewhere in the mix. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5240.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	11962
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5242.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	11963
    Last edited by Huskee; August 23, 2014, 02:44 AM.

Looks awesome!

Comment

You're up early my friend

Comment

That sure looks good Huskee, especially the cheddar. What contributes mostly to the meat color?

Comment

Well there's some smoke ring there from the charcoal and pecan, that and it's just over medium. I have found that pecan is my favorite for burgers, it's amazing. Next cook I'm going to try a mix of pecan and whiskey barrel oak.

Comment

WOW I'm hungry now. WTG man,

Comment

With a glass of beer and those good Ore-Ida zesty crinkle fries, it really felt like we were "out", good meal. Thanks to Mh's recipes. We do this weekly. Feed the whole fam for about $12 worth of food. My boys love Meathead's burger glop. I've been known to lick the spoon when we're done.

Comment

• _Keith
                _Keith commented
                Editing a comment
                If you eat fries relatively frequently, I highly recommend getting a deep fryer and making your own. I use the twice-fried method with russets, and I have no patience for frozen fries anymore

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I have one and do make my own. We like the Ore Ida ones, they're the best I've tried yet. They have a real restaurant taste to them when having with good burgers.

Huskee, looks awesome and thanks for pointing me towards Meatheads Burger Glop. Due to the overwhelming amount of info on AR I have not came across that recipe yet and definetly looks like a goto sauce.

Comment

Looks fantastic! I agree with Powersmoke_80, must try that Meathead glop.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's amazing. The first time I made it I had no hot sauce so I omitted that, it was still great. I had since bought some Frank's Red Hot (love it, very buffalo wings-like) and used it and it doesn't make the glop hot at all, but it does zing it up just enough. It's so good.

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Finally got around to making the burger glop. Pretty awesome! Goes very well with a shrimp salad also. That recipe is a keeper for sure.

Yum! Did you grind the meat yourself?

Comment

Talk about a week late....here I am! LOOKS GREAT!! I'm going to try the glop next time I do burgers....first I'd seen this, too, so thank you! I can't tell if you use buns like I do, but.... Hamburger buns - a perfect example of form over function. I've tried the bottom toppings, but don't like it. My solution is to use the "top" as the bottom. Holds together much better and soaks up more of the great juiciness. Call me weird.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good idea, that's how my boys do it. The glop is so good, great french fry dip too.

Originally posted by John Tanner View Post
                  Yum! Did you grind the meat yourself?
                  I haven't yet, I don't have a grinder, but I'd like to get one for my mixer. I get either chuck 80/20 or "hamburger" 75/25.

Comment

Did some bacon cheddar burgers this way this weekend with a little hickory, best burgers I have personally made. The shop here grinds up fresh daily, quite a difference from that pre-packaged store stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                      Did some bacon cheddar burgers this way this weekend with a little hickory, best burgers I have personally made. The shop here grinds up fresh daily, quite a difference from that pre-packaged store stuff.
                      Great! Hickory is similar to pecan, perhaps a bit stronger, so I can imagine how good they must've been. Amazing how with a little extra knowledge about technique we're able to transform somethign so mundane as a burger into something so goooood. Did you try the glop?

Comment

I haven't yet, I was going to but one of the kiddo's came home early sick so I had to lock myself outside

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here