Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground Bison or Bison Chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Bison or Bison Chuck?

We made some bison burgers this week using a mix of ground bison(Aldi I think) and ground beef, which are a big hit.

I am happy to replicate good burgers in the future as we eat them a lot. However, my plan was to move to using beef chuck in the future and grind it with the LEM to upgrade the burger quality.

Now, we have bison in the mix. Do I make the effort to source bison chuck or better quality bison grind (where?) or stick with the plan to source beef chuck for grinding and maybe find some occasional ground bison?

I haven’t had bison much, so I ask if there’s a discernible flavor that comes with the ground bison you use? If mixing the two, does that take away from one or the other?

That said, I do have a few packs of bison burgers in the freezer I picked up from Crowd Cow. Thought I’d see how they worked and what the flavor profile was over beef. Perhaps Sunday I’ll do burgers and see what i think.

Regardless, I love fresh ground for burgers! If I have my way, I’d never get beef patties. I enjoy finding a few cuts and grinding and going with smash burgers from there!

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Everyone agreed this bison mix was richer and tastier over using the same recipe with just ground beef earlier. So , it is about a clean comparison as you’d like to see.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I used 2/3rd bison to 1/3 beef.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed: personal preference indicate 66.3 / 33.3 Angus Chuck, to bison, fer burger grind...have went as wide as 75/25, still delightful... haven't crowded past that there line, just been too busy, or lazy...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 17, 2021, 07:15 AM. Reason: u

I cook bison a Lot: we'ns grown em hereabouts...

I use ground chuck, almost exclusively, vs hamburger...95%

I've found bison to have a bit of almost subtly sweet flavour, when pardone, but it's always gone, when finished...

Finisihed taste is mildlly different, if I was to worry bout it, much. (I Don't)

Does it taste like ground beef, or ground chuck? No, not zackly, but it tastes Dee-Lishus...

Hit me up, here, or PM, Brother!

Comment

I’ve had a handful of bison burgers and they’ve always been delicious. Haven’t made them myself. That being said…

My experience with beef says, "source the bison Chuck."

Bought a meat grinder about 9 months ago and it’s been a game changer for burgers. Fresh ground beef chuck is head and shoulders above pre-ground beef from the market…even the fresh stuff they do in-house.

This is the one I bought, and I love it…

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Please, do take us'ns along, fer yer impendin ride, amigo...

D'Artagnan Foods carries various cuts of bison https://www.dartagnan.com/buy/buffalo-bison-meat/ While they don't list chuck, they do have ground meat. It may be worth a call to find out if they'd provide you with bison chuck.

Comment

Found this in my bookmarks, never ordered from them though:

They have bison chuck roast for $11.95/lb. They have a large selection of bison cuts as well as elk and other game.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          A quick Google search confirms this is probably the best pricing online for bison chuck roasts. Thanks for sharing this! I've bookmarked it for future reference as well.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here