Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burgers Falling Apart Everytime!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MeatMonster
    replied
    Be sure and work the beef hard after grinding, like you are kneeding bread for a good 5 to 10mins, repeating as you add any seasoning \ ingredients. Ideally when cold, then refrigerate for at least two hours. I always add some tomatoe paste to help bind a little, but never needed eggs. I believe The kneading encourages enzymes to start breaking down the protein, which helps cohesion.

Leave a comment:

• JimLinebarger
    replied
    I have been grinding my hamburger the past 8 months. I started using 2 parts choice chuck (roll or clod), 1 part pork shoulder, and one part choice brisket point. Did a double grind first with the 3/8" plate then the 3/16" plate. It was a little grainy, hard to hold together. Had to be careful when flipping. This last time I used 2 parts choice chuck, 1 part choice top sirloin, and 1 part prime brisket point. Even added some of the cuttings off of my 28 day aged choice NY strip. It is still a bit grainy. I started looking into adding moisture to the meat before grilling. Still a work in progress. Next time might not use brisket at all or triple grind the brisket. Not sure yet.

Leave a comment:

• Peter
    replied
    make sure not too much fat in the mix, happens to me as well if there is too much fat in. also make sure you have 1/2 lbs burgers at least, less makes them too thin which could also be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Don Jr
    replied
    I've been cooking 80% lean burgers on the grill for 30 years and I've never used anything but ground beef and never had a problem. I don't add any seasoning at all as I don't believe you need to do that for burgers. I've never heard of anyone adding egg to the ground beef, maybe that's a regional thing. I usually make 1/2 lb burgers and I handle them very gently when I form the patties.
    Last edited by Don Jr; May 4, 2016, 06:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DJ DeSpain
    commented on 's reply
    Just have them sit on top of the existing grates. The main reason is that the GrillGrates is not a single piece, but multiple panels that link together. The ones cut for the Weber are three separate panels, with the ones on the ends rounded at the corner to fit inside the kettle. If you have nothing underneath the panels for support, the panels will come apart.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee Yeah we call it pop too. And no, they don't make those anymore. hahaha its been a while my friend.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker I don't buy much pop (as we call it) anymore, do they not make them anymore?

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    hahahaha "BIG SLAM" !!! Thats an old one. I remember those. Huskee

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    Those can be tough, I would try a little hotter or pack a little tighter, or super duper fast at sliding that spatula. Sorry, no help other than the obvious.

• the5006
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah its time for me to get GrillGrates, I've been looking at them for a while now, time to pull the trigger.

Any recommendations if I should get one to sit on top or replace my existing grates?

• the5006
    commented on 's reply
    As I try and get the spatula under the burger it slides forward and catches on the lower cross member of the grate and tears at the front and bottom of the burger. If you take a look at the third picture down on the left (Porcelain-Enameled, Cast-Iron Cooking Grates) at http://www.weber.com/grills/glossary these are the grates I have.

• the5006
    commented on 's reply
    Good call, thanks for the suggestion. A fish spatula will be added to the arsenal tonight.

• the5006
    commented on 's reply
    I get the grates hot, brush them, put a thin layer of vegetable oil on them then let the indirect side get down to 225 before every cook to keep the cast iron clean. They get cleaned after each cook as well. Probably overkill but it has kept the cast iron stick free and rust free for going on 8 years.

I also oil the meat prior to searing.

Tonight I am going to try a slightly tighter pack and leaving the meat in the fridge longer as well.

• Ernest
    replied
    Your patties seems perfect.
    Use 2 spatulas, quicker flip motion?
    Alternatively, form a meat ball, get it on the grill (hopefully you're using a griddle) and gently press it into a patty then walk away.
    Last edited by Ernest; September 17, 2015, 08:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    replied
    You might want to use a fish spatula. They are very thin and they will slide under your burger easier. Grill grates are a no brainer.

I have made the Steakhouse Steakburgers many times and have never had one fall apart. I follow Meathead's instruction exactly. I do not add any other ingredients to hold it together.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here