Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber SnS - steakhouse burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber SnS - steakhouse burgers

Has anybody explored methods for using the Weber kettle slow and sear while making steakhouse burgers?.

I like the recommendation on this site of indirect heat until 20 degrees below temp then reverse sear at the end. Maybe lift the SnS onto a brick or something so the coal is an inch below the burgers. But I am wondering how you utilize this method and still stay at 225 indirect heat. Do you fill the SnS with an entire chimney of white hot coal and turn the vents down as low as possible during the indirect cooking, then open them all the way for direct searing? Would this stay low enough - can a SnS with an entire chimney full of hot coal keep your Weber indirect at 225 or is it going to be hotter?

If anybody has experience with this please let me know. Thank you so much!

When I do burgers on the sns I just fill the sns with hot coals, i keep all vents wide open , put my burgers on indirect until there almost done then I set them directly over coals until they get the sear I like, and flip for the other side , then I consume and they are delicious 🤤

I wouldn’t worry about the temp of 225 for burgers IMO
    welcome to the pit

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      This is also what I would do. It's what I do for reverse searing steaks. I don't worry about temp control of the grill - just run it wide open with the steaks in the indirect section, then sear once the steaks are 115 to 120.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Except that's a LOT of coals to use just to cook a couple of burgers. For a cookout, not an issue.

If I do this, I use a smaller Smokey Joe and effectively do that same thing with the coals pushed to one side.

I usually fill the SNS as full as possible with smokin hot coals, throw a chunk of wood on them and cook the burgers lid on indirect with all the vents open to around to around 120 degrees and then sear to finish temp and back to indirect lid on to melt the cheese. Not sure what cooking at 225 would bring to the party.

Comment

Agree with above. No need to low n slow a burger or steak.

I usually have some leftover charcoal from the last cook in the SnS. I'll line the bottom with this and add new charcoal if needed for a unlit base layer. I'll then light a half or slightly more chimney and dump on top when ready. Vents all open, cooking indirect until 110 -115 internal then pop the top let the fire go for a bit then start searing.

Comment

In the same camp here as everyone else. I may go a little lower on steaks, but not burgers.

Comment

I do the same, but I put the Drip ‘n Griddle over the SnS and griddle the burgers. They still get the grilled taste, the grease goes all aerosol and gives it the nice charcoal flavor. It’s just easier for me, no flare ups. The hard part is cleaning the griddle.

Comment

Given that a burger needs to be brought to 160 internal to truly be safe to eat, a 80/20 blend will render nicely indirect on a big grill. Burgers are simple food. No need to over-complicate them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here