Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made my first Chopped Cheese Sandwiches last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made my first Chopped Cheese Sandwiches last night

Last night was wanting burgers for dinner but when I was at the grocery store they had their French bread on sale so I made chopped cheese sandwiches for dinner.

For those not familiar, this is a sandwich served in bodegas in east coast cities. (Could be everywhere but I’ve only know it to be on the east coast)

Picked up the French Bread, got some 80/20 and got a head of iceberg lettuce.

Started off the cook similar to smash burgers. Fired up my Blackstone, rolled two 4 oz hamburger balls for the woman and rolled two 6 oz hamburger balls for me. Diced up a garden tomato I got from my neighbor and finely shredded up the iceberg lettuce. Went to get an onion and noticed I was out. Luckily I had some green onions in the fridge.

First I toasted the French bread on the griddle for some texture and extra flavor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7262F8E5-5B7F-4497-9B3B-140DA3DBDF3E.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1087596

Next I pressed the hamburger balls onto the griddle and threw down the onions. I only pressed them to about 1/2 inch instead of thinner like I do for smashed burgers. I seasoned with some Lawry’s Seasoned Salt and flipped them when the crust formed.

Name:	E06A4861-F6AE-4693-B062-FC34408C6E8F.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	1087595

Next I used my spatula and scraper and chopped up the burgers, mixed in the onions and shaped the burger to fit on the roll. Added the American cheese. And let it melt a bit.

Name:	16C74130-DD9F-4B55-BCA3-F0BEDCB34C68.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1087594

Added the roll, put it on a plate and added ketchup and mayo.

Name:	B916CC26-2100-432D-B298-A260620CEBD9.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1087593

Next I added the shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes but I think I wanted to shove it in my face quickly so I forgot to take a picture of the finished product.

I think I enjoyed this better than smash burgers. I liked how the cheese and meat formed together into a yummy, crunchy, greasy, cheesy mass.

Had a few onlookers come to see what was going on.

Name:	4C1778F1-E57A-4DD3-85D7-CE41A33522CA.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1087597
    ​​​​​​​

Kind of like a cheeseburger sub I see served at some deli shops. Thanks for for documenting the cook, I am definitely going to give this a try!

Comment

That's a legit "New Yawk" chopped cheese right there! Desus and Mero would eat that in a NY Minute! Nicely done, my friend.

Comment

I'll be giving this a try. It definitely sounds and looks like something I would enjoy. I have always liked the way a French loaf toasts. Mine won't be entertaining any ketchup though.
        I'm not going into it expecting it to be better than a smash burger cause that's something I find difficult to swallow :-)

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mayo and ketchup are the OG condiments for a chopped cheese. It ain't authentic of it ain't got mayo and 'chup. Just saying.

• lemayp
          lemayp commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking it looked good until it was ruined with mayo...

Never heard of this - kinda of like smash burger meets cheese-steak in a way. I'll have to give it a whirl!

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, it's a kind of ground beef cheese steak

Born in NJ and spent a ton of time in the city. Never heard of this. Very interested.

Comment

That looks pretty dang good, thanks for sharing. I'm doing burgers this evening and I think I'll switch them up to this. Also, I'd keep an eye on those onlookers, they look a little sketchy to me.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; September 3, 2021, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            I was going to chime in that to me they look profoundly disappointed.

looks great!

Comment

I like it. I just may have to get a griddle for my Traeger.

Comment

I don't operate on a Saturday but a good customer asked pretty please if I could throw a few burgers and fries together for them and some of their guests. Well just the opportunity for me to give this a try. I did not have any French Loaf, just used a my usual burger buns. No K 'sup or mayo and I forgot to add my bbq sauce. Had some fries left from the order so I put a few on the toasted bun before topping with the meat mixture. Was a good eat Sir with SWMBO approval too.

Name:	20210904_193658-1-1-1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	1088191

Comment

That looks really good! Minus the Mayo of course!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNorcross View Post
                  Born in NJ and spent a ton of time in the city. Never heard of this. Very interested.
                  It originated in bodegas in Harlem and the South Bronx.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here