Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom grind burger blend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom grind burger blend

Hello to all. I grind my own meat. I've tried numerous combinations for burgers. I've decided I to go with a chuck / brisket blend. I know the fat content is different between flat and point on the brisket. Which has the higher fat content? Also what would be a good chuck to brisket ratio?

The point end of the brisket has more fat. As for how much of each, it would really depend on how lean or fatty each cut was to begin with, and what kind of flavor and texture each one bring to the grind. I think the fun part will be figuring out what works best for you. Please keep us updated throughout the process.

Comment

As to the ratio of chuck to brisket goes, it would depend on what your end product fat content should be. Two briskets side by side likely will have different fat to meat content as already mentioned. Same with the chuck. We prefer a 80/20 ratio for ground meat so it really is a best guess game when you grind. In other words let your eyes dictate what you think you have and grind accordingly and keep them fingers crossed because there are so many variables. Either way with those two ingredients you would be hard pressed to end up with a product you don't care for.

Comment

Try 50% Chuck or short rib, and 50% sirloin. Been thinking of doing 50% point and 50% flat to do a 100% brisket burger here recently.

Comment

Honestly, if you are hitting a 75/25 lean-to-fat ratio I don't think it matters what your mix is. I wouldn't use the point - seems kind of a waste. Any mix of chuck and flat with 25% fat will come out great IMO.

A couple of other tips - try to keep the burgers loose. Yes, they have to be a bit packed but keep them as loose as you are comfortable - texturally it's more appealing. Also, when it comes time to cook them start them off COLD. I partially freeze my burgers right before cooking. This allows longer cooking time which enables more fat to render and also creates more color on the exterior prior to searing.

Comment

• Rfhd69
            Rfhd69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice!

I use a blend of about 45% choice brisket, 35% chuck, and 20% short rib. Fat ratio ends up about 30% - maybe more. Really tasty blend.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            YUM!

Chuck alone works well, as does mixing equal amounts of flat and point. If ya got something lean such as deer meat just go fitty-fitty with bacon ends.

Comment

A few months ago I did a comparison between several 80/20 blends, some from SRF, etc. My opinion? It's not going to make a big difference which of the various meats you use or even the grade and you likely won't notice much if any difference if you use it on a burger with the usual condiments etc.*

BUT....

Moving the fat % up does make a difference and is the thing you should look at doing. A 70/30 burger is just more luxurious than an 80/20 burger.

Something I need to experiment with is taking a whole Costco prime brisket, grinding it and then adding some of the trimmed fat back into it if it looks too lean. I suspect the for $5/lb or under that's going to be a really good burger. I might just make the flat into pastrami and grind the point...

If you didnt want to grind a brisket, I'd grab a chuck roast and add some trimmed fat or even some fatty pork belly. But I can get brisket for less than chuck here so...

*I'm assuming here that no one is grinding crappy select or super lean cuts like top round
            Last edited by rickgregory; August 23, 2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

One of the best burgers I ever made was with 80/20 chuck that I ground myself. I had 3 pounds and partially cooked indirect on the kettle about a pound of bacon that I then chopped up. The bacon only partially rendered but what was left upped the fat content a bit and the overall combination was incredibly tasty.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here