Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steakhouse Steakburger, animal style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steakhouse Steakburger, animal style.

In and Out is a hamburger chain based in California. They have a very limited menu but if you know the code you can order their burgers Animal style. Animal style is not on the menu and what you get is caramelized onions on your burger. I decided I needed to learn to caramelize onions so I could use them on Meathead's world famous hamburger patty. All came out fine.😎

Looks great... animal style lol, I have heard of it, but alas we have no In and Out burger joints here.

Comment

smarkley .

In and Out is the best burger chain going, IMHO. They haven't changed their menu in 30 years. Their sit down dining area is always packed and the drive through lane always has a long line. Now that the matriarch has passed on the kids that inherited it are expanding into more states. You may be getting an In and Out in your area someday. If you ever come to California put an In and Out burger on your must do list.

Comment

Throw some sautéed mushrooms on there for an added twist. No longer order hamburgers when I can make it better.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          You're right about the shrooms.👍

Caramelized onions--one of the Foods of the Gods.

Try Five Guys Burgers-better than In 'n' Out imho. Definitely better fries.

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
          DJ DeSpain commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had In N Out in Vegas. I definitely like 5 Guys better. Here in Atlanta, there's a place called Grindhouse Burgers, and they're better than 5 Guys. The drawback is it's limited to 2 locations, over at the Sweet Auburn Curb Market near downtown Atlanta, or in Buckhead, which is the high-rent district suburb of Atlanta. The upside is that along with their great burgers, they also show kung fu flicks, or grindhouse B movies, on their TVs to watch while you order in line, or eat your burger. http://www.grindhouseburgers.com/

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          DJ DeSpain .

The great thing about food is that everyone's pallet is a little different. What makes your tongue dance with excitement is the ONLY thing that matters.

Knock yourself out with culinary enjoyment my friend...😎

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          I like 5 guys, but for the life of me, can not figure out how they make overlooked beef patties taste so good!

Looks outstanding!!

Comment

More burgers on the BGE with grill grates... 1 up for grilling and one down for searing the surface and toasting the buns.

Comment

Love Animal style, order that every time I visit my brother in SF. At first I wanted to go because of the reference in The Big Lebowski, but it turns out that place is awesome.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Most people in California agree with You... In and Out burgers are awesome.😎

• (brownie)
              (brownie) commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are some good burgers, Dude!

Originally posted by Wartface View Post
            In and Out is a hamburger chain based in California. They have a very limited menu but if you know the code you can order their burgers Animal style. Animal style is not on the menu and what you get is caramelized onions on your burger. I decided I needed to learn to caramelize onions so I could use them on Meathead's world famous hamburger patty. All came out fine.😎
            How do you make your onions? Those look incredible!!

Comment

Spinaker .

The easiest way to caramelized onions is to cut them in half and then cut them into then slices. Heat up a sauté pan to medium high. Coat the bottom of the pan with butter. Put the onions in and separate them by stirring with a wooden spoon. Add a little salt and a little sugar. Stir the onions and put the lid of the pan on for 2 minutes. Remove the lid and keep stirring. Eventually some fond will stick to the bottom of the pan. Add a couple of tablespoons of water and scrap the fond off the bottom and keep stirring. You can use white wine instead of water, your choice. You'll probably need to add water/wine a couple of times. The onions will brown nicely. The whole process takes about 15/20 minutes.

You can do it at a lower heat and slow the process down to a 40/50 minute process, that being the traditional way. The slow way will get you a 10% better tasting end product but my fast ones are great.
              Last edited by Breadhead; September 3, 2015, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Breadhead Thanks for the tips! I am going to try this tonight!!

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker .

Cool... It's easy peasy. Remember we like pictures.😎

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Breadhead I Didn't get he chance to make them tonight, I was invited to a impromptu pasta dinner at my brothers place. Tomorrow night I am going to the Minnesota/TCU game. So the plans have moved to Friday. But they are certainly on the list!! And pictures will follow.

I like to take a 1/4" slice about the size of my pattie, drizzle on some evoo or melted butter, add some seasoning - I like Cavenders - and grill it along with my burger until just tender. mmmmm

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                That's kind of how In and Out burger does it on their huge flat tops. They scrape the fond off of the grill from the burgers too.

I love to make caramelized onions too! Thanks for your post Wartface. No one has posted much about this in the past. I believe a cast iron pan also helps the process some too.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I used a cast iron pan but a heavy bottom stainless steel pan might be better. The silver color will show the fond more prominately.

5 Guys burger >>>>>>>>>>>>>> In n Out!!

Comment

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                (brownie) You can't beat a homemade burger

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                5 Guys is gooooood. I love just walking up and just laying out what I want, instead of having to 86 a bunch of crap.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Those Cajun fries at 5 guys burger!!

Carmelized onions definitely rock. FWIW, you can get them on In'and'Out burgers without animal style. From my understanding Animal Style (which I love) adds some additional sauce, includes the onions (which you can ask for separately), and (unconfirmed) adds a step where they put mustard on the patty and then fry that a bit. On my health-conscious days I like Protein Style (no bun, lettuce wrap instead), but it is really hard to eat while driving:-) http://www.in-n-out.com/menu/not-so-secret-menu.aspx. In 2012 Food Network Magazine ran an article with a really good copycat recipe for their burgers, which we've used with good success. Our one Five Guys experience wasn't very good, but I don't think it was typical for the chain, so we need to try it again.

Comment

Caramelized onions should be available on everything.

I think I may like them so much since the raw variety reek the high heaven, man that raw crap can mess up a burger QUICK.

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmmm... I like raw red onions on a burger.😎

That's why the menu's are so long. Everyone has a different pallet.

That's why there is 5 Guys and In n Out and they both do well.👌

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here