Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to try smash burgers for the first time this week......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will cast a vote for the "Diner Burger" aka Wimpy Burger recipe over on the free side. I've done all my burgers that way for the past year or three, and won't do them any other way.

Diner Burgers Recipe (a.k.a. The Quarter Pounder a.k.a. The J. Wellington Wimpy Burger) (amazingribs.com)

As others have pointed out, you do NOT want to put a bunch of oil down on the skillet or griddle first. That will defeat browning of the burger. The 80/20 chuck should have enough fat, and you want a really sharp METAL spatula to scrape it up off the griddle to get all the brown crust with it. By the time the burgers are flipped, you will have plenty of grease on the pan or griddle, and may need to sop some up before you do another batch. At 400F, I think it takes me 3-4 minutes for the first size, and 2-3 for the second at most.

Comment

You got plenty of input, so some of this is repetitive. But I am somewhat of a self-proclaimed smashburger expert based on a survey of me.
      • No light, fluffy burgers - the ground beef needs to be smashed in to little balls before you start the cook
      • Use the griddle - not the skillet. It gives you more space and also a better angle on your spatula without the sides of the skillet getting in the way. You can also use the skillet if you need more space for crisping the buns.
      • I run a lot hotter than others are recommending - 600-700F. But maybe I'm just wrong about this.
      • Minimal oil on the surface before you cook. Just a bit of nonstick, not a pool for cooking. You are on the right track with avocado oil for high smoke point.
      • Preheat the spatula before you smash. If you don't then parchment to prevent sticking is a must.
      • IMO grilled onions are essential. Jalapenos are also great.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        You said what I was thinking about the skillet. Kinda hard to scrape up and flip the burgers with the sides of the skillet in the way.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree... HOT HOT HOT griddle! My smashburgers probably get 1 minute after smashing, salt the uncooked side, flip for maybe 90 seconds. I do 6 patties at a time on my set of 3 GrillGrates (the flat side, of course). Usually it's so hot I'm rushing to try to get all of 'em flipped before it's time to do the first ones again, same with adding cheese to each and stacking 'em in double. I do these things super fast and super hot. Grilling buns on the top portion of the GrillGrates simultaneously.

So much good advice, everything has been covered. So...

A Summer Smash Bourbon!

90P bourbon - the rarer and stronger the better.
      3:1 bourbon to simple syrup (1C simmered water, 1C sugar - stir to disolve then chill. I use a mason jar).
      3:1 lemon juice.

Combine in a shaker over ice with a half dozen ripped up but not muddled fresh mint leaves. Shake Baby, Shake!

Strain over a tumbler of ice, garnish with lemon peel.

Comment

Smash burgers have made regular appearance on our dinner menu since I got a 36” Blackstone griddle a couple years ago.

We always have bacon when we do burgers, so the bacon goes down first, along with onions. Buns follow those. All are set aside on warm plate while burgers cook.

I get the griddle as hot as it will go. No extra oil…what was left from cooking bacon is plenty, and adds a little extra flavor.

All meatballs down. Smash with parchment paper between burger and press. Hit with salt and pepper. Flip. Cheese. Bun. Add condiments of choice.

We use brioche buns. Some people say they’re too "fancy" for smash burgers. I say they’re a great fit.

Burger sauce that my family likes:
        (We did taste tests of a dozen+ versions with different ratios and ingredients. This was the winner.)
        2 parts mayo
        2 parts ketchup
        1 part yellow mustard
        1 part finely diced dill pickle

Ultimately, cooking is a very personal experience. Find what works for you and do it!

Comment

Instead of salt, try smashed/ground up cool ranch Doritos & pepper. Good flavor and adds crunch texture.

Comment

• au4stree
            au4stree commented
            Editing a comment
            You just blew my mind.

I just got a meat grinder attachment for my kitchenaid for fathers day and now I"m dying for a griddle-top grill.
          This thread is not helping!!!

Comment

First Person Cooking: Ultra-Smashed Burgers - YouTube

Maximize Flavor by Ultra-Smashing Your Burger | The Food Lab (seriouseats.com)

Comment

And here's how they turned out! https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...18#post1059818

Comment

Keep it simple..

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like that. Less is more!

Now you’ve done it! LOL
                Next step is a dedicated flattop. ;-)
                Of course once you get that...you’ll be making lots of these. Lots.

They’re always a hit.
                When I know I’m going to be cooking up more than a couple...I break out this toy.

I'm not a fan of American cheese...so I either slice or shred my own. Usually cheddar, but I generally have pepper Jack on hand as well. Onions are nonnegotiable IMO. They MUST be on there! :-)

Comment

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  holehogg It might also be worth looking at a restaurant supply store... They’re fairly common and most (many?) diners have them...so finding one is pretty easy around here.

I wouldn’t be without one if making burgers for a party.

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Sir.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also a butter wheel owner/operator lol

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                When I know I’m going to be cooking up more than a couple...I break out this toy.

I'm not a fan of American cheese...so I either slice or shred my own. Usually cheddar, but I generally have pepper Jack on hand as well. Onions are nonnegotiable IMO. They MUST be on there! :-)
                That butter roller is cool! And it sits right on the grilling surface.

I am not a fan of American cheese either. It tastes just really.....processed. Melts delightfully, though. I've got some provolone I need to use up so I may try that, which also melts exceptionally well.

Comment

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, a butter wheel is a game changer, especially if cooking for a crowd. And yep, just toss in 2-3 sticks of butter and set it on the griddle someplace. It’s low enough to melt butter but high enough not to burn.

I usually refer to American cheese as "plastic cheese." Some smart@$$ will always chime in with, "You’re supposed to take the wrapper off." My reply? "Does it honestly make a difference?" LOL
                  Provolone is a staple around here as well.

Well, mine turned out great! Big hit with everyone. They were compared to a local diner chain called Salisbury House. Grilled onions, cheddar cheese and a sauce made with mayo, ketchup, mustard, and a bit of pickle juice.

My wife asked for them again near the end of the summer, so I guess they turned out alright.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent! (Also, wpg = WordPerfect Graphics?)

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Reckon I'd be interested in hearin th ratio fer yer simple burguesa sauce...

Still do have +>Top Secret clearance< if'n that instills any kindaconfidence in my discretion...

Jus wanna recreate yer sauce, as a potential base, fer further burguesa adventures....
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 22, 2021, 06:49 PM. Reason: Largely involved beggin...:-)

Dewesq55 Going to make smash burgers tonight and wanted a different sauce choice than my normal mayo and mustard. I liked the looks of what you posted, but knew it was going to be a bit sweeter than I would like. So, made a couple changes, thought I’d share them back to you and the group. Letting all the flavors incorporate right now, but I already think I really like it.

1/2 cup Best Foods olive oil mayo (it’s what we have, so went with it)
                1 TBSP + 1 tsp Dijon mustard
                1/2 tsp tomato paste
                1/8 tsp honey
                1/8 tsp kosher salt
                1/4 tsp garlic powder
                1/8 tsp fine ground black pepper
                1/4 tsp celery seed
                1/4 tsp dill pickle brine
                pinch cayenne

My wife declared it good when it was freshly mixed.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	B28266F3-F261-4A5F-8EC5-A3C7F98E98C5.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1062501
                Last edited by ecowper; July 18, 2021, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones we are having smash burgers in a few minutes, let ya know what we think!

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Standin by to stand by,, an millin bout smartly, Brother!

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones We did do those smash burgers. Burgers were good, the burger sauce is really good. I might add another pinch of cayenne, it really didn't have much kick to it. I have to figure out the timing on the buns. Cooking them first meant they were not as toasty/crunchy as we like. Other than that, it's a nice change from steakhouse style burgers. And this sauce will be my burger go to from now on.

I need a flattop. I'm gonna get me a Blackstone, I guess, just can't find the Camp Chef I want available when I have the funds available, too.

I did smashburgers last night on GrillGrates over gas. I used my infrared thermometer to check temps. They really did best and crusted up well at 450º-500ºF. Even with high gas heat, smashing 6 burger patties at a time and the associated steam and oil brought temps down well into the 350ºF range, which was definitely suboptimal. They cooked just fine, but definitely slowed them down (which was good for my ability to keep up) and the true crust formation suffered.

Take it for what it's worth.

Comment

Michael_in_TX I could be cryptic and say: "Figure out what EN19MV means😁", but I wouldn’t do that. It’s short for Winnipeg, the city I live in. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                    Michael_in_TX commented
                    Editing a comment
                    lol....what is hilarious is that I actually recognized the EN19MV for what it was. I have an amateur radio license so I am very familiar with grid squares!

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There are several current Hams here, includin my danged ol self, Michael_in_TX ...

Even some Elmers...

73!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here