Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plant based meat ain't meat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant based meat ain't meat.

I just ran across this article. Basically is sez that PBM does not contain all the nutrients of the real mccoy. It does make one think...

A Duke University research team's deeper examination of the nutritional content of plant-based meat alternatives, using metabolomics, shows they're as different as plants and animals. Beef contained 22 metabolites that the plant substitute did not. The plant-based substitute contained 31 metabolites that meat did not. The greatest distinctions occurred in amino acids, dipeptides, vitamins, phenols, and types of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids found in these products.

It is really going to be interesting to see how all of this plays out for sure. I do not care at all if folks want to eat PBM or shredded cardboard, just does not matter. Not as long as I can still purchase what I want.
    Last edited by DavidNorcross; July 7, 2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm in the same boat, I'll even try lots of vegetarian dishes but I WILL NOT try plant based meat. Why do I want to even try something that is supposed to almost taste like what I already like.

• North Carolina Mike
      North Carolina Mike commented
      Editing a comment
      There is supposed to be a beef shortage causing the recent rise in prices so I hope the fake meat will help leave more real meat for me. Also I have milked cows and goats and don't see how you milk a almond or a oat.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      North Carolina Mike You have pointed out one of the most asked questions of this decade, when did almonds and oats develop nipples?

I fear that the food industry will slip this s**t into our food more and more without regulation until we don’t know what we are really eating. Scary thing to me really.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Has been goin on, fer some time...under th name of Textured Vegetable Protein...I've eaten plenty, in late night burritos, etc., but it's been commonly used as a meat sub fer several decades...

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      I worked at a fast food Mexican joint in the mid seventies. They started out with a TVP product for the meat, switched to 100% beef, and people complained. They liked the TVP
      better! Don't remember if I told them what it was.

I tried some recently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VtHaCUgPm1d8g0NL0eHYhDFPvGi26oni2CgLb_pVZyY1B1BRtOjS9DWpAXaPxjodY4F8dwS82vSeMBd9soRe8dWl4CL3Isl8koA6lMrZnrecFXoLx3ALWK6SEpqQjvAfqZNc-dSug1oJEnqx0Z22qMROcilmXgzCvoMHoGEhoXUfvgvvhZ_jWRr6UsoEz4MrIwXHAdekpi58lvL6FOiY7MyTPnE_DtT1g-LOsRSS8N55C9DpuSAYgol1De2pXw2
Views:	315
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1056765

Name:	xAx6p4o6bQhg-wrR5d12Zj3zPC8iD_furI1QPh9M0icqfXQGEBhBbCg9v8c4Pt4XneFry8jesaxXTjUpNqLObEua8UaqqTY2n6kyW9D2CytkW9fJa94FbdKX9ketJJBn3UoNTJQMFQvn4SyGjHtkue5vxpfOtquWQoMi7vMbKmFdq816kZIMP_1fgh7warp93rerWFf0s8PEipxOEzMztBH9dccccKcOD9VXouddFePQhJe2nyA_ChfrK64J14D
Views:	320
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1056766

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good, how was it?

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Old Glory It tasted great and it could probably fool you.

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	297
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1056810

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      DavidNorcross No one is outlawing meat. There are simply people who like this stuff and surely you believe in their rights too, yes?

The reason for the cartoon should be obvious - every week or two, someone posts this same basic thread and people get all outraged about this stuff existing, despite the fact that none of us have to eat it.

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory I am not going to debate you this subject so this will be my last post here. However, I will respond to your remarks. If you see my earlier response you will see that I could care less what anyone else eats. And you are right, no one is outlawing meat. Not yet anyway and that is why I choose to not remain silent on this issue. Over the course of time individual rights are and have historically been stripped away and I see this agenda as no different. I hope I am wrong...
      Last edited by DavidNorcross; July 8, 2021, 04:39 PM.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      And posting every week here is going to safeguard our rights... Because the vegans are coming... Please.

This isn't funny. It's sad. People are different and like different things. It doesn't hurt me that, while I love fish there are people who can't stand fish. Those of you constantly whining about plant-based 'meat' might want to just go get some pulled pork. Speaking of which...
      Last edited by rickgregory; July 8, 2021, 06:13 PM.

@Attjack I don't understand why: 1- Tried it, 2- pictures of it, 3- admit it, 4- post the pictures
    I would rather eat worms--invasive jumping worms. 😫

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Why wouldn't you try it? I cook with all sorts of fruits, vegetables, meats, and processed foods. It's just food so no reason to get your panties in a bunch. PBR isn't the best beer in the world but I'll drink it.

It could be worse. It could be 2022

Name:	0B3E6360-6325-44BF-8922-39E022E72B41.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1056839

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Hail, bbqLuv , wasn't ya in yer semi~pubescent earlly teens, when this movie come along???... (probly nursin a warm PBR that jus might happen to come from a very passed out father...??? Mebbe, it's jus me...

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I can not tell a lie: . . . . . so that you have it.
      But . . . . . warm PBR, and sometimes an ice cube or two.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      My Grandad kept his Old Style in the closet. Cut down on us kids stealing it I suppose. But he liked it that way.

I respect the work that food engineers put into PBM. Really.
    But I equate those products to something like the drug substitutes used to treat addicts. They satisfy the craving for meat, but not the underlying desire.
    Personally, I would like to eat less meat. If I eat meat, I want it be real meat. But if I run across a good recipe for black bean burger, I'm all in!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Cain't rightly never say that I've ever found thing one wrong with no kinda Black Beans, in any format, that exists in My World, Brother

Bring them Burgers...

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Just like Ivory and ebony
      white beans and black beans
      Play Music

I've been as anti-planty-meat as anyone, and saw a comment on FB that made me think about how anti I was...

"Are you angry because you're afraid you might like it?"

Am I? I dunno. I have no interest in eating it. I think that's enough. I don't have to yuck someone else's yum. Even if it's mustard.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I am anti because it is false. You can make it look and taste like ground beef, but it is not ground beef. It doesn't have the same nutritional value or satiety. it's no different, in my mind, than the fraudulent sale of one type of fish as another type.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper Personally, I found that it was very satiating. As far as nutritional value goes it has a similar amount of protein and fat with no cholesterol (I'm not so sure matters) and it contains fiber, unlike meat.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      @Ecowper: I am anti because it's false, but so long as they don't label it in a confusing way, I think I shouldn't be harsh or vocal about my opposition without introspection. It's not the same as selling ocean trout as salmon or even tuna, because that's actual deceit. So long as plant based meat stays branded as plant based, I think I can be okay with it, even if I have no interest in eating it.

To each their own, folks just need to keep it to themselves and mind their own business. In the end, most of us couldn't care less.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; July 8, 2021, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      You said you like it when someone is condescending to you? That means talked down to, by the way.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Of my friends who are vegan not one of them proselytizes. They mind their own business. Now my buddies on the BBQ forum, well, they have opinions!

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper "unfortunately, vegans tend to be in the proselytizing camp, not the keep it to yourself camp."

I've no love for most vegans because of that, but no one is coming here and trying to convince us to give up meat. On the contrary, people repeatedly post about it here to...do what? Get attention?

I'm not the market for this stuff, I doubt many of us are. But at this point it's not vegans who are stirring the pot on this, here.

Go down to Burger King and get an Impossible Whopper. Yea it's so full of lettuce and tomatoes and sauce and pickles and a thick bun that yea, it fools your brain into thinking its a Whopper. But take a bite of the patty by itself. When I want a steak, that patty wouldn't even come close sitting alone on my plate. Not to mention there is no nutritional advantage to it what-so-ever. In fact I'd argue that the sat fat content being virtually the same and since they have to up the salt content for flavor, it's slightly worse for you.

Now for a better, and I'd say closer proximity, is a black bean burger. There's a really good diner here in Houston that serves one. It doesn't claim to be meat, it just stands on its own as an alternative. To be honest I find it to be pretty good for a change of pace. Maybe once or twice a year I eat one. Would I substitute one for a hamburger with real meat, no (unless that was my only alternative).

Again we beat this subject to death. Cows ain't going anywhere anytime soon (and probably not in my lifetime). Just enjoy your beef and let those who want to stuff chemically and genetically altered garbage ladened with animal fat and salt to mask the flavor and give it some mouth feel, have at it.
    Last edited by Troutman; July 8, 2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Attjack brings up a very valid point, "Why wouldn't you try it?".
      So tomorrow morning I'm going on a PBM hunt....opps!!!! hunts not the right word....
      However, I'm going to go out and buy some PBM and give it a whirl.
      I've sat here and voiced my dis-pleasure with PBM every time someone has posted about the subject with no experience on the subject at all.
      For those of you who would like to join me this coming Monday will be my cook day only because I don't know how available PBM or what cuts, for lack of a better word, are available.
      I'll report back tomorrow on what I have found.
      Just remember....a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing....
      I'm harmless....teehee.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        You crack me up. 😂

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, good luck. Whenever I want to eat something that tastes like meat I get some meat. I wouldn't even know were to start hunting for a meatless product that tastes like meat!

I think smokin fool has a great idea! I’d be willing to bet 90% or more of us, including me, have never even tasted plant based meat. I haven’t even tried any of the burgers out there. I am going to join him in a search for something to try. I will also report back what I found. I might even try a couple of different items just to verify if I like it or not. Afterwards, I’m sure I’ll fall in love with it and start my own website. www.amazingfakemeat.com

Anyone care to join us? Hop on board, this could be fun.
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 8, 2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack - Jackfruit is an interest substitute for pulled pork. It's definitely not a 1:1 thing at all. What it is, I think, is a good replacement for pulled pork style things for someone who doesn't eat meat. It's more like a traditional veggie burger... no one ever tried to make those be really like meat, they were just meant for people who didn't eat meat but who wanted a burger.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack While you're at it, why not fashion a durian meatloaf and smoke that sucker. Be sure to have your gas mask handy !!!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't had durian before but I would certainly give it a shot.

When I started this thread, I thought I was just supplying a bit more info on the subject - info that I feel does not make the product(s) sound any better than what I already felt about PBMs.

Now, should you try PBMs? That is a personal decision each person, (and Panhead John ), has to make for themselves, but with what I know, I see no reason to even try them as long as I can get real meats. I do reserve the right to change my mind any time in the future...
      Last edited by RonB; July 8, 2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        That was kinda my point Panhead John . Everyone gets to decide for themselves.
        Last edited by RonB; July 8, 2021, 05:10 PM.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John I've heard those VS gals is extremely attracted to PBM men but this secret hasn't made TMZ yet.
        So we'll get the pick of the litter before TMZ gets the story and other guys hop on the PBM bandwagon.
        but I digress....

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice going Ron, you caused a near riot. You get the "Drama of the Week" award my friend. Not only that you insultingly exclude poor old Panhead John from the human race (That is a personal decision each person (and Panhead John) has to make).

Now having thought about it, I think this group is always up for a little drama so kudos to you for that and as far as old Panhead being human, well I'll have to contemplate that one for a while but I think he probably qualifies.

Sorry fellas, I thought we were having a little harmless banter, I'll take my closed mind and wander off somewhere else.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Fine. Then I’m not gonna let you sleep with any of the Victoria’s Secret Supermodels I’ll get after eating fake meat.
        Last edited by Panhead John; July 8, 2021, 06:32 PM.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry PJ, I did have a super model for a girlfriend. She was no longer doing that when we met, but it's what she did. And yes, she was very pretty and a very sweet lady. The stories she told about that line of work might shock you. Beautiful women (and men) in a very ugly business.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here