Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground brisket for burgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zinfella
    replied
    Yesterday's Angus burgers were both a hit and a miss. I take full responsibility for the cooking technique involved. Used a cull chimney of Weber Professional briquets, mainly so I can use up the bag and go back to Weber Originals.

These Angus patties from Fry's were a bit thicker than last week's brisket patties, although both were 1/2 pounders. Neither came in plastic wrapped meat tray, but were wrapped in butcher paper, so the difference may be due to being squished a bit when wrapped, I dunno.

The brisket patties were pre-mixed with seasoning, the Angus were not pre-seasoned. The brisket patties were far more flavorful and drier, but cooked well done. I cooked the Angus to medium to make them more juicy and tender, which they were. BUT, GW took her patty out and nuked it for 30 seconds 'cause ut wasn't done enough for her. Even my Angus patty did not compare to the well done brisket patty.

I need to adjust cooking time for brisket patties, but not by much. We love the seasoning the butcher used with the brisket patties (seen below), and we will likely go with them over the Angus patties, YMMV
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• zinfella
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info. I have more to say abut this that is probably better done as a separate post instead of a comment.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    zinfella (Th Magnificent!)

Check th Frozen Section, git ya some 'Private Selection' Burger Patties...Deal when they's MSRP, even better when they (Frequently) go On Sale!!!

Local (Dillons) offers up 4 flavours of these, an they all dang danged GOOD...@MSRP $9.99, fer some of em, still a Deal, at only $1.665 per 1/3 lb patty...

When on sale, typically ~$6.99??? A scant 1.165 per patty...

Try Th Steakhouse, first, is my recommend...

After that, ya'll Find Yer Way, an no 'ore' grindin,

• zinfella
    replied
    Originally posted by Clark View Post
    Shame on all of you! That is blasphemy!! Grinding up delicious brisket should be outlawed in every state. You folks are grinding it, burning it, and then covering all of it's flavor with mustard, mayo, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green chiles, and probably catsup too.

Brisket should be savored by slicing it and eating with your fingers, or at worst, with a fork.
    Okay, I'll meet you half way and eat my ground brisket burgers with my hands, no forks allowed!

Leave a comment:

• Clark
    replied
    Shame on all of you! That is blasphemy!! Grinding up delicious brisket should be outlawed in every state. You folks are grinding it, burning it, and then covering all of it's flavor with mustard, mayo, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green chiles, and probably catsup too.

Brisket should be savored by slicing it and eating with your fingers, or at worst, with a fork.

Leave a comment:

• zinfella
    commented on 's reply
    Further investigation reveals these from Fry's for today are 80%-20% Angus Chuck patties.

• zinfella
    commented on 's reply
    Oh yeah, in fact we're having Angus patties from Kroger-owned Fry;s for supper tonight! Don't know the protein/fat blend because
    GW brought 'em home, and she didn't look.
    Last edited by zinfella; June 6, 2021, 11:04 AM.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Costco not available, here, without quite th (not gonna bother) drive away...

Are there any Kroger-owned typa stores, anywhere near ya?

Dillons, here, many other names, nationwide...

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Chuck Yayusss!!!!

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Makes me too...

• zinfella
    replied
    Originally posted by Meathead View Post
    A lot of chefs make a big deal of what cut they use, or blend of cuts. There are minor differences in the flavor of the proteins around the carcass, but they are minor. The big diff is in the taste of the fats and cooking technique. Brisket makes a fine burger. But % fat is also important, and the age of the fat, and what the animal was fed which alters the fat. I made a great burger once from a very lean rump cut blended with fat trimmed from aged ribeye.

Has anyone tried the 1/3 lb 75%-25% Angus ground beef patties from Costco? They're in a package of 18 patties, which is too many to buy without some idea of how good they are, or aren't. We're not going to grind our own meat any more, so we're looking for good quality in ore-made patties. We do burgers over charcoal.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    I only purchase 1 brisket per year. It’s always a prime grade from Costco. Problem is they are so damn big and I work really hard to trim away almost all of the hard fat. It’s a lot of work. I usually grind Chuck roast for burgers making sure that I use all of the fat. They are very flavorful.

Leave a comment:

• Oak Smoke
    replied
    I almost always cut the thin end of a brisket flat off because it's just going to be over cooked by the time the rest is ready. I freeze them and the fat I trim from around the point. When I have several I will thaw and grind them. I tried using a scale, but now I just get it so that I like the way it looks. Just thinking about it makes me want a nice crusty smash burger.

Leave a comment:

• JoeSousa
    replied
    A local barbecue place here saves their good brisket trimmings and grinds that into burgers once a week. They then smoke the patties and when someone orders them they give them a quick sear. Some of the best burgers I have had.

I like grinding brisket and short rib meat together for burgers. Some sirloin flap (or bavette) is also good in there. And of course it is hard to be chuck. Any combination of those 4 should get you enough fat and flavor for a good burger.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    replied
    I’ll grind anything. The last grind was brisket and Wagyu pichana fat. Why?? Because that’s what I had. Super good.

Also have ground bacon into brisket plenty. Addicting.

Happy eating!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here