Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground brisket for burgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground brisket for burgers?

This is a new one on me anybody got any comments?

Oh yeah, short ribs too, and tri tip. You just have make sure you have enough fat in the grind.

Comment

Yep, I do it all the time. I will freeze the fat from brisket that I trim and smoke. I typically use choice brisket when I grind and use that frozen fat to get me to 80/20.

Ground brisket is terrific in chili too.

Comment

• Deaf Arty
        Deaf Arty commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds good. Gotta try it. I've put chuckie in chili and it's great.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoked brisket point is also fantastic in chili

Yes, PLEASE!!!!

Do it alla th time, along with chuckie, an short rib meat...

Comment

Oh, yes! A winner! Have a batch in the freezer now. I prefer to grind the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Larry View Post
          Oh, yes! A winner! Have a batch in the freezer now. I prefer to grind the point.
          My wife came home with a couple of ground brisket half pound patties from a gourmet market so I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow. The.y will go on the Weber kettle.

Thanks for all the responses!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Great Wifey!!!

Quite interested in hearin yer Review, Brother!

Be safe an well, way on out there, to AZ!!!

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb have you ever been in Flagstaff in January?

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            Well? How’d it go?

I've done it once and was happy with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by au4stree View Post
            Yep, I do it all the time. I will freeze the fat from brisket that I trim and smoke. I typically use choice brisket when I grind and use that frozen fat to get me to 80/20.

Ground brisket is terrific in chili too.
            Ok, real dumb question. How do you know when you are at 80/20? Do you trim the brisket, make two piles and then go from there?

Comment

• au4stree
              au4stree commented
              Editing a comment
              Not a dumb question at all. In essence it’s a guess on the amount of fat in the lean side. If I feel it’s low, I add fat. I use a digital scale to help with this, super helpful to have one. I think I bought mine on Amazon for $15. Typically if you’re using fatty cuts like chuck, short ribs, brisket etc there’s a pretty good amount of fat already, particularly more if it’s prime compared to choice. It’s not the same, but I learned a lot from Meathead ‘s article on the free side.

• au4stree
              au4stree commented
              Editing a comment
              Link to article.
              Interested in learning how to make world class sausages at home? There are several tricks that apply to almost all sausages. Here’s a good overview with pictures that will guide you through the entire process for making homemade sausage from scratch.

A lot of chefs make a big deal of what cut they use, or blend of cuts. There are minor differences in the flavor of the proteins around the carcass, but they are minor. The big diff is in the taste of the fats and cooking technique. Brisket makes a fine burger. But % fat is also important, and the age of the fat, and what the animal was fed which alters the fat. I made a great burger once from a very lean rump cut blended with fat trimmed from aged ribeye.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              I find texture a major issue as well. Example, too much sirloin in a blend or all sirloin and then screwing up the cook. Not as forgiving. So cooking techniques for sure!

I’ll grind anything. The last grind was brisket and Wagyu pichana fat. Why?? Because that’s what I had. Super good.

Also have ground bacon into brisket plenty. Addicting.

Happy eating!

Comment

A local barbecue place here saves their good brisket trimmings and grinds that into burgers once a week. They then smoke the patties and when someone orders them they give them a quick sear. Some of the best burgers I have had.

I like grinding brisket and short rib meat together for burgers. Some sirloin flap (or bavette) is also good in there. And of course it is hard to be chuck. Any combination of those 4 should get you enough fat and flavor for a good burger.

Comment

I almost always cut the thin end of a brisket flat off because it's just going to be over cooked by the time the rest is ready. I freeze them and the fat I trim from around the point. When I have several I will thaw and grind them. I tried using a scale, but now I just get it so that I like the way it looks. Just thinking about it makes me want a nice crusty smash burger.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Makes me too...

I only purchase 1 brisket per year. It’s always a prime grade from Costco. Problem is they are so damn big and I work really hard to trim away almost all of the hard fat. It’s a lot of work. I usually grind Chuck roast for burgers making sure that I use all of the fat. They are very flavorful.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chuck Yayusss!!!!

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                A lot of chefs make a big deal of what cut they use, or blend of cuts. There are minor differences in the flavor of the proteins around the carcass, but they are minor. The big diff is in the taste of the fats and cooking technique. Brisket makes a fine burger. But % fat is also important, and the age of the fat, and what the animal was fed which alters the fat. I made a great burger once from a very lean rump cut blended with fat trimmed from aged ribeye.

Has anyone tried the 1/3 lb 75%-25% Angus ground beef patties from Costco? They're in a package of 18 patties, which is too many to buy without some idea of how good they are, or aren't. We're not going to grind our own meat any more, so we're looking for good quality in ore-made patties. We do burgers over charcoal.

Comment

• zinfella
                  zinfella commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Further investigation reveals these from Fry's for today are 80%-20% Angus Chuck patties.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  zinfella (Th Magnificent!)

Check th Frozen Section, git ya some 'Private Selection' Burger Patties...Deal when they's MSRP, even better when they (Frequently) go On Sale!!!

Local (Dillons) offers up 4 flavours of these, an they all dang danged GOOD...@MSRP $9.99, fer some of em, still a Deal, at only $1.665 per 1/3 lb patty...

When on sale, typically ~$6.99??? A scant 1.165 per patty...

Try Th Steakhouse, first, is my recommend...

After that, ya'll Find Yer Way, an no 'ore' grindin,

• zinfella
                  zinfella commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the info. I have more to say abut this that is probably better done as a separate post instead of a comment.

Shame on all of you! That is blasphemy!! Grinding up delicious brisket should be outlawed in every state. You folks are grinding it, burning it, and then covering all of it's flavor with mustard, mayo, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green chiles, and probably catsup too.

Brisket should be savored by slicing it and eating with your fingers, or at worst, with a fork.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here