Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground brisket for burgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    I find texture a major issue as well. Example, too much sirloin in a blend or all sirloin and then screwing up the cook. Not as forgiving. So cooking techniques for sure!

• Meathead
    replied
    A lot of chefs make a big deal of what cut they use, or blend of cuts. There are minor differences in the flavor of the proteins around the carcass, but they are minor. The big diff is in the taste of the fats and cooking technique. Brisket makes a fine burger. But % fat is also important, and the age of the fat, and what the animal was fed which alters the fat. I made a great burger once from a very lean rump cut blended with fat trimmed from aged ribeye.

Leave a comment:

• au4stree
    commented on 's reply
    Link to article.
    Interested in learning how to make world class sausages at home? There are several tricks that apply to almost all sausages. Here’s a good overview with pictures that will guide you through the entire process for making homemade sausage from scratch.

• au4stree
    commented on 's reply
    Not a dumb question at all. In essence it’s a guess on the amount of fat in the lean side. If I feel it’s low, I add fat. I use a digital scale to help with this, super helpful to have one. I think I bought mine on Amazon for $15. Typically if you’re using fatty cuts like chuck, short ribs, brisket etc there’s a pretty good amount of fat already, particularly more if it’s prime compared to choice. It’s not the same, but I learned a lot from Meathead ‘s article on the free side.

• Razor
    commented on 's reply
    Well? How’d it go?

• Razor
    replied
    Originally posted by au4stree View Post
    Yep, I do it all the time. I will freeze the fat from brisket that I trim and smoke. I typically use choice brisket when I grind and use that frozen fat to get me to 80/20.

Ground brisket is terrific in chili too.
    Ok, real dumb question. How do you know when you are at 80/20? Do you trim the brisket, make two piles and then go from there?

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    I've done it once and was happy with the results.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    Smoked brisket point is also fantastic in chili

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    ComfortablyNumb have you ever been in Flagstaff in January?

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Great Wifey!!!

Quite interested in hearin yer Review, Brother!

Be safe an well, way on out there, to AZ!!!

• zinfella
    replied
    Originally posted by Texas Larry View Post
    Oh, yes! A winner! Have a batch in the freezer now. I prefer to grind the point.
    My wife came home with a couple of ground brisket half pound patties from a gourmet market so I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow. The.y will go on the Weber kettle.

Thanks for all the responses!

Leave a comment:

• Texas Larry
    replied
    Oh, yes! A winner! Have a batch in the freezer now. I prefer to grind the point.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Yes, PLEASE!!!!

Do it alla th time, along with chuckie, an short rib meat...

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Arty
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds good. Gotta try it. I've put chuckie in chili and it's great.

• au4stree
    replied
    Yep, I do it all the time. I will freeze the fat from brisket that I trim and smoke. I typically use choice brisket when I grind and use that frozen fat to get me to 80/20.

Ground brisket is terrific in chili too.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here