Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of these cheeses should I put on tonight’s Oklahoma Onion Burger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which of these cheeses should I put on tonight’s Oklahoma Onion Burger?

I got colby jack, I got some 4 year cheddar, I have some Kerrygold Irish cheddar, I got monster, and I got 3 chili Gouda.

Any of them will be fine. If I didn’t have the forum to ask, I’d probably go with the colby jack, but that 3 chili Gouda looks mighty good. But I don’t see it with pickles and mustard.

I vote for that sweet Kerrygold.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Isn’t that an awesome cheese? Sharp and smooth at the same time.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I love all things kerrygold.

Three chili gouda and a bit of barbecue sauce!

Comment

Muenster (monster) ought to melt pretty well on a burger. The Gouda as well, but not sure how flavorful it will be, since gouda is pretty mild. I'm not a huge fan of straight up cheddar on burgers as it doesn't melt so well, but since Monterey Jack is a pretty good melting cheese, maybe Colby Jack will be too?

Sorry not to help as much, but that's my ranking:

1. Colby Jack
      2. Muenster
      3. Gouda
      4. One of the cheddars

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1023673

Comment

I was gonna suggest muenster but it looks you went Colby-jack. Looks like a tasty burger.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            "Mmmmmm! This is a tasty burger!"

I am the different one. I like the 4 year old cheddar.

Comment

American Cheese, not listed. Cheese Burgers should have American Cheese.
            Having said that we usually use Coby Jack.

Happy Grilling to you and PBR too. (post burger review)
            Last edited by bbqLuv; April 28, 2021, 05:34 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Just not American cheese slices.
              Cheese slices, in most cases, are one molecule away from plastic.
              We cut our cheese for hamburgers from the block.
              100% better than slices.

Have you tried Boursin , garlic and fine herb? (Gournay Cheese) Oooooo it goes good on a burgerrrrrrr...

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Boursin would taste great on anything....great cheese

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              No, but I will. Thanks for the recco.

Clearly the decision has been made but I’ll throw in anyways. Coming from where I do, cheese plays an important role in everything but the more stuff you put on the burger (deep breath) the less important it is. Given what you were putting on it IMHO you made the right choice with the Colby Jack which is my daily driver.
            Your 4yr cheddar, Kerrygold, Muenster and Gouda deserve to be enjoyed by themselves where you can enjoy the nuances of each. Cut off a chunk, plop it in and savor 👍
            Last edited by Andrrr; April 27, 2021, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed.
              The 4 year old cheese should be enjoyed with your fav red or white wines.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with you, fancy cheese is a waste on most burgers. The exception is when the burger depends on what the cheese brings to it: mushroom/Swiss is one example. Aged cheddar and onion straws is another. In this case, once I decided to go with mustard and pickle (traditional OK onion burger condiments), the fancy cheese fell down the ladder. Heck, I’ll put Velveeta on a burger if that’s what I got. Jacques Pepin uses Velveeta sometimes.

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              Mosca yep. And if it’s good enough for Jacques I guess it’s good enough for me!

All of them. Its the only logical answer.

Comment

Agree with Andrrr , ( geez that’s a mouthful of r’s). Those others are great cheeses but mixin it with pickles & such, simple is best. Mebbee if’n all ya was doin was the cheese ya could use all of em, but diluted yer missin out on the quality of the cheese. That’s why American cheese, even thought the purists look down their nose at it, works so well on a burger, yup, cuz of all the other stuff ya put on it. I know this will trip a lotta triggers, but I recently went out fer burgers with a friend. He had a taste fer one. I ordered a Mushroom & Swiss Angus. It was tasty enough not to put anything on it. He ordered a plain Angus burger & then proceeded to drench, I mean bathe, I mean cover it with cat soup. Went to school that day.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here