Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

breaking in brand new Blacklock 5.5 cast iron dutch oven. recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breaking in brand new Blacklock 5.5 cast iron dutch oven. recipes

looking for something good to use our new Blacklock cast iron DO on the grill. Any ideas what to make other than chili?
    thanks all.

Sorry............Chili. 😜🤦 Can't help myself I found a Lost & Found Chili recipe on the Anson Mills website that I finally have all the ingredients for.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahem..... we're waiting for that recipe.

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      totally forgiven

Bread!

Comment

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      recipe?

Cherry cobbler!

Comment

In mine so far, I've made bread using this recipe, and it was GREAT! I let it rise overnight, and be sure to preheat the dutch oven as the recipe says, before dropping the dough ball in:

No Knead Bread - no kneading required, 4 simple ingredients, baked in a Dutch Oven! The result is simple perfection, best bread ever.

And I've found it to be phenomenal for deep frying on the grill, both chicken wings and fried potatoes. I have been frying over the SNS in my kettle, and controlling heat by moving the dutch oven over the coals or slightly off, pretty easy to get the oil into the 350 to 400 range and keep it there. I'll keep a pan with paper towels on the other side of the grill to stage the batches in as they are done, and the heat from the grill keeps everything warm until done.

Comment

I always like to season any new piece of cast iron I get no matter if the manufacturer says it is pre-seasoned or not. I will do it twice. After all I will be cooking in it not a seasoning machine or someone that may not care in the factory.

Comment

My favorite things to do with a new, or newly seasoned, dutch oven are fry something or make popcorn. And by fry I mean shallow fry something, you want oil to vaporize and coat the inside. Popcorn does the same thing, atomizes oil over the inside and cooks it on.

I've heard good things about the seasoning on the Blacklock stuff, and honestly the regular Lodge stuff I've bought lately has been pretty good, but i'd still probably baby it a touch to start.

Comment

Here are a couple of sites with lots of recipes:

Sharing my love of Dutch Oven cooking with everyday recipes and tips for the outdoor cook.

Dutch oven cooking recipes and advice for everyone

Lots more to be found out there of course! What I have yet to do is a good one pot meal. Of course, my wife tends to make those in her crock pot!

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              And... I just got back to my home office from visiting a subcontractor across town. Boom. Two crockpots of some sort of stew are cooking in the kitchen since I left - looks like ground beef from the freezer and every veggie that was in the fridge. I am sure some of it is to take to someone, and the other is for us. So, no grilling for me for a couple of days at least!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here