Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch Oven Beer Bread - Super EASY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 cups self rising flour
    3 tbs sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 cup onion flakes
    1/4 cup dried Italian seasoning
    1 12 0z can/bottle of beer

Adjust onion flakes and seasoning to taste
    Mix all ingredients (dry stuff first then add beer)
    You will end up with a goopy mess... get your hands real wet before you handle it, it helps.
    Oil the Dutch Oven real good.

Cook for 35-40 minutes with 6 charcoal briquettes on the bottom and 18-20 briquettes on the top.

If you want cover the bottom of the dutch with parchment paper first so you can get the bread out easier

Rotate the dutch and lid separately and opposite directions about every 10 minutes

Melt some butter on top when finished - let sit for 20 to 30 min before cutting (hard to do)

If you want to you use you digital thermometer to check when it is done... shoot for 195 to 205 in the middle of the loaf.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bb1.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	56168

Name:	bb2.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	56169

Name:	bb3.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	56170

Name:	bb3.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	56171

Name:	bb4.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	56172

Name:	bb5.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	56173

Last edited by smarkley; January 24, 2015, 03:59 PM. Reason: spacing grrrrrrrr

Good looking!!!

I also see you have Meathead's super caliper thingees.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah those tongs RAWK!

They are indispensable when moving briquettes around.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I use my welding glove (not sure where the left handed one is at)...and hastened getty-upness.

Nice loaf... What's the crumb look like? I bake sourdough and ciabatta bread in my Big Green Egg.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      sorry I did not get a pic... I sent this to work with my wife, so I never cut into. This is not a yeast bread, so you can imagine what the crumb looks like... a big biscuit. LOL

I will make a yeast version sometime and show more.

Looks good to me. Is that a common thing to put charcoal on top of dutch ovens? I am completely ignorant of anything dutch oven.

Comment

Yes the shape of the lid and feet on the Dutch are made to use coals top and bottom.

Check this out... pretty cool really. Multi Level cooking... pretty handy.

Name:	campfirecookingstacks.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	56313

You can of course use wood instead of charcoal... I have done that many times.
      Last edited by smarkley; January 24, 2015, 09:51 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Ive seen stacks on You Tube that are like pyramids of Dutch ovens. Really cool. This is also a phenomenal way to make corn bread for a afternoon of BBQ. Great post Smark. I love cast iron cooking.

Interesting. I might have to look into this. I feel like I've been missing out on something cool all this time....

Comment

there is a ton of you tubes out there on Dutch Oven cooking.

Comment

I've wanted to play with a Dutch Oven for a while.... maybe there should be a room for DOC (Dutch Oven Cooking) on here. ;-)

Comment

I'm cookin steaks this weekend... gonna be some beer bread with them now. I predict falling asleep in my recliner with a beer in my hand!

Comment

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here