Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Mac and Cheese with an obscenely thick cheese sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Mac and Cheese with an obscenely thick cheese sauce

Mac and Cheese with an obscenely thick cheese sauce. It is not for the faint of heart, lactose intolerant, or Vegans!

NOTE: All measurements are "-ish". The rig was my CharGriller Pro. The pot is a Lodge 5qt Dutch oven.

Start with a basic white sauce with 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream added to a roux (I used 4tbsp butter and maybe 6tbsp flour). Add 1 cup shredded cheddar, 1/2 cup Monterey Jack and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Season with paprika, cayenne, salt and worcestershire sauce. My wife would add some chopped onions and garlic, too. Edit: I'm not fond of raw onions, but maybe caramelized onion would be good, maybe one whole onion chopped and fried first. Maybe even fry a strip of bacon and fry the onion in that and then add both to the cheese sauce.

Add in the mac (I started with 1 cup uncooked elbow mac) and top with feta or crumbled goat cheese and more Monterey Jack.

I put it directly over the coals, uncovered, for about 10 - 15min to pick up a kiss of smoke and then moved to indirect and covered for about another 30min (well, maybe more like 45min).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170416_185038.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.41 MB ID:	306093
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20170416_183624.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.74 MB ID:	306094
    Last edited by boftx; April 16, 2017, 09:35 PM.

Looks cheeselicious!

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Nice. I jacked up the Mac 'n Cheese from the Food Lab so bad not sure I could redeem myself. Never use bootleg cheese.....

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Lots of room for riffing on this one. I especially like to put two layers in the middle of something like goat cheese, bleu, or even parmesan just to add a "surprise".

Awesome!! Love mac and cheese. 5 cheese mac and cheese with jalapeños is what I am doing these days. Your photo of the mac on the fork is fantastic.

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotta try the jalapeños, sounds great with the cayenne!

Sweet! I agree with your opinion about raw onions. I pretty much always sauté them (and garlic, shallots, leeks, etc.) before adding them to anything.

Comment

Obscene is good when it comes to mac 'n cheese!

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            I talked it over with my daughter and the next time I'll I fry 2 or 3 strips of bacon, fry a chopped onion in the bacon grease, then use that to make the roux and serve up some Bacon Mac 'n Cheese.

Beautiful!

Comment

Looks really good!

Comment

Good looking mac..Ive been throwing some crumbled bacon and green chilis in lately

Comment

My wife's the Mac and Cheese expert around here, but her basic ploy is grab the leftover cheeses from the fridge and see what happens. It works!

Comment

OMG looks awesome! My BF is addicted to the M&C from the smokehouse we go to (Fireside, Feasterville, PA). We stopped there for lunch the other day and that was what he had for lunch.

Comment

boftx That looks terrific. Pulled pork is a terrific mac n cheese add-in.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here