Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wear Gloves!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Solberg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Oh, milk in my eyes that keep on burnin'
    I don't know if I'll see tomorrow
    Milk in my eyes that keeps on burnin'
    wohohohohoh mymymy, jalapeno"

[sung to Journey "Wheel in the Sky"]

Sorry just popped in there.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; March 6, 2015, 05:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chudzikb
    replied
    Been there, done that, learned my lesson the hard way...

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    I vividly recall laying on the floor in the bathroom, my wife pouring some milk onto my eye sockets after my inagural jalapeno cutting eye wiping ceremony a few months ago. Thank God we had some Milk!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Did it once after stemming jalapenos for making my Orange-Jalapeno BBQ Shawsh, realized I work in a hospital and have to glove up about fifty times a shift, and we just throw out "outdated" glove boxes (regulations)....why not bring them home.... So now I glove up for most things raw meat and spicy peppers, very convenient.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    buddum tissss

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by bbqoaf View Post
    hahahaha, that is one mistake you only need to make once!
    That's what I'm afraid of, bbqoaf. If I had ever had that problem, I certainly would have been more cautious. But I have chopped literally thousands of jalapenos and serranos and have never ever had a problem. That said, fresh habaneros scare me. I don't mess with them (but I love habenero based hot sauces), or ghost peppers either.

John, I even put on gloves when serving cake for dessert, just as a kindness to my guests. At least that's what I tell myself. Mostly it's because I hate the sticky stuff on my fingers!

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Happened to me many times. When I was a mechanic years ago I got into wearing gloves, and ever since then I have a habit of putting them on basically any time my hands my get dirty.

Leave a comment:

• bbqoaf
    replied
    hahahaha, that is one mistake you only need to make once!

Leave a comment:

• Guy
    replied
    Kathryn, I think you are right about some folks more tolerant. I have never had any problems with peppers burning my hands but a couple of months ago I rubbed my eye about an hour after cutting peppers and I could feel the burn. It did not last long because I had washed my hands and time had gone by.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I always chop jalapenos and serranos bare-handed. In all these years, I've never had a problem. Some folks must be more tolerant of those hot oils that transfer to the hands.

But raw meat? My gloves are on before I remove the packages from the fridge.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• johnsteen
    replied
    coat your hands with cooking oil and wash when done. never had a problem

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Oh, I have them. I just want wearing them.

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    OUCH! A bit of jalapink eye!

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    replied
    You can buy a box of disposal vinyl gloves at most stores for $5.00... Whenever I handle toxic food, poultry, hot veggies, hot spices... I wear vinyl gloves. They are so cheap I also wear them when I put lump coal in my BGE... So I don't have to go in the house to wash my hands.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here